Is it too soon to fertilize?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenedge, Sep 2, 2004.

1. greenedge

greenedge LawnSite Member

Is it a little too soon to fertilize? My friend is fertilizing all of his customers lawns now. I haven't seen any other lawn crew fertilizing. I'm in South East Texas

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had an old lady tell me one time to fertilise in sept, or oct or dec. I asked why and she said spell it out
    S sept
    O oct
    D dec
    The answer was sod, she said it makes good sod, and here yard was green and very nice looking

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I suppose in MN if you fertilized in Dec you'd be able to tell where you went, all the tracks in the snow. ;)

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

What turfgrass are you fertilizing?
    Have you ever acquired a soil test for that particular property?
    Additional information needed on irrigation, actual turfgrass site conditions, uses of this site, customer's budget.

5. greenedge

greenedge LawnSite Member

About 50% of my customers are are a tight budget. I have to hold checks, etc. you know the drill. But the real deal is that when I show up to mow some of my yards the grass in their back yard is about a foot deep. I mow them every two weeks and have told them repeatedly that the lawns need to be mowed more often. They are concerned of the cost of weekly service. If I fertilize I think I will only hurt myself. However I did wake up out of the blue this morning with the idea of fertilizing the front and putting weed-n-feed in the back. What do you think of this? Crazy?

6. LwnmwrMan22

Um.... wouldn't weed-n-FEED be fertilizing the back?

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

anytime after 8:00am is okay by me

8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

In Texas, if you charge for an otc weed n feed, you have to record the app and have a license. With regards to the timing of fertilization, I would recommend you acquire a soil test. Read the results and incorporate these results in a balanced fertility program. Anything else and you are just guessing. As far as only timing, with the climatic conditions in Houston area, you can fertilize pretty much the whole year due to the turf not going completely dormant. However, to reiterate, get a soil test first.

9. LwnmwrMan22

I hear ya!:D