Is it true what they say about large acorns?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by General Grounds, Sep 23, 2005.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: is it true that if we have large acorns that the winter will be a mother@%^&*. the last time i remember large acorns was the fall of 95 and then in january of 96 we had a 35" snow fall and 16 totall snows? any opions. thanks tony

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I always heard the acorn doesn't fall far from the oak tree.

GEO :D

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I find one can foretell with some degree of accuracy what mother nature holds in store, but she will ultimately decide what comes and goes regardless of previous intention or what she said, she still does what she wants in the end.

So there is truth to it, without the guarantee.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Large & lots of em.
    I believe it. seems as accurate as any other method. :D

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I know what you mean.. When these things fall from the trees at my house and hit the A.C. it is the loudest bang ever.. I hope we get one mother of a winter..

6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it is true. Large acorns are big nuts.

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

tony,
    I dunno bout a mutha of a winter, but we will need some snow to pull this late summer/early fall out of the shitter!! Our season was real strong until this month. Sure we're doing a ton of thatching & aerations, but mowing is down to 50% roughly and dwindling. Will be forced to let 1-2 guys go after this week I think.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What Ive always said about large acorns, is that they hang from large trees! :rolleyes:

9. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: hey bob, i hear ya, were pretty smoked here and bad, it rained for like 15 tonight. we have only 6 cuts left on our schedule seems like the summer came and went like the wind, tony

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I don't know much about acorns relating to snow storms, but I can tell you that this winter I will enjoy my 50-60* weather and not have to freeze my azz in my 4x4 plowing snow LOL.