1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it true?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ralph Wiggum, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Ralph Wiggum

Ralph Wiggum LawnSite Member
    from NY

If you seed with a mix of PRG and KBG that the KBG will never grow because the PRG will block it out? heres my mix

25% Darkstar II Perennial Ryegrass
    25% Preston Perennial Ryegrass
    25% Yorkshire Dales Perennial Ryegrass
    15% Deepblue Kentucky Bluegrass
    10% Washington Kentucky Bluegrass

Thanks guys
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

down to less than 10% of the total mix. It is true that prg releases compounds that keep other seeds from germinating. I think the compounds are classified allelomorphs (SP?) Another example of this is a black walnut tree that has the ability to kill other tree seedlings from the compounds that the hulls of the nuts release.:hammerhead:
  3. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

FYI Dave,

The compound released by black walnut trees is called "Juglans" which is also the genus of the species.

As for a compound released by Perennial rye, I've never heard of this theory that keeps other seeds from germinating ?? What Perennial rye will do [if to much percentage of mix] is encourage interplant competition. With the rye taking up all the space [as it'll germinate and establish first] nothing else has a chance to germinate.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Rapid germination of one specie is the cover crop for slower germinating species. A strategy in farming, but it is done with annuals.
    First I have heard of PRG actively Pre-M ing KBG.
    Do you think it is real?