1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it unprofessional to mow without a shirt on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVEY PROS, Jun 16, 2006.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anybody thinks its unprofessional to mow without a shirt...

We mow in our polos and shorts but it still gets hot as hell. Our customers don't seem to care but with cars passing by the property i'm not sure they want to see a white guy with a horrible farmers tan. Would it make a difference if you were tan and had a six pack? :weightlifter:
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

personally, yes. i know people here may disagree, but i feel like no shirt makes people automatically think redneck/sleazy/whatever. strangely enough, our uniform shirts are t-shirts, but i find polo shirts to be cooler. i guess the heavier material holds the sweat longer or something.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Would you want a plumber in your house working with-out his shir? or how about your line item chef at outback.....

Keep the clothes on. its more professional, and if you get good uniforms the shirt can help wick the sweat away and actually make you cooler than just no shirt at all.

so now your working for 12 bucks an hour on one jerks house, use an electric blower, and you want work with out shirts....

You're shaping up to be a class act....
  4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

I don't it is going to be a problem for a 17 year old to work like that.
  5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Male or female?
  6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. I believe it is unprofessional. Your image and how you present your company to the public is very important. Even if your intentions are not to pick up more accounts by being at properties, I think the impression that someone gets by walking or driving by matters. I would rather have someone drive by and think "Damn, those are some squared away guys. They look like they have their sh*t together." Instead of "What the hell are they supposed to be?"
    This is just my thought on it. It is important to me how the locals see this company.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

not only does it look un pro-but you would burn to a crisp in here in sunny fla
  8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

agree on the polo shirts. here you could get away with it but i stick to my polo..
  9. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

That's for sure!
    :angry: The exposed skin I have now burns up, even with sunblock, couldn't imagine with no shirt.
  10. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member