Is it warm enough?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tebletlawns, Feb 12, 2011.

1. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

We've had single digit temps for the past week or so but next Wed high 58 low 49 and Thurs high 60 low 48. The snow should melt off this weekend and gradually warm up all week. I am putting stone with mortar on one side of a concrete wall that is direct contact with the ground on the opposite side. Will it be warm enough

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We have been working in this weather, 9 degrees yesterday morning, 12 degrees the morning before.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

So I should have no problem with the mortar setting up? Just want to make sure it will be ok because i am taking a guy a few out of town to work on my girls uncle's cabin so it has to be done right. not like i would do shotty somewhere else but this is a lil different than a regular job in town.

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

They veneered a restaurant last week here in STL and the temps were the same as you, Just build a tent and keep it warm. From what otherrs have told me the secret temp number is 40* I did a firepit in Dec and we just built a tent over it and kept a heater in there over night.

5. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

I'd kill to have those temps for stonework this time of year. The only issue/delay I can possibly see with the project is that the last joints of the day may take a little longer to set-up & strike. Hot water, sand and material goes a long way in winter, especially when its' above freezing. I personally wouldn't spend the time & money to tent that in either with those temps.

6. DVS Hardscaper

Last yr from this time forward......it was finished snowing here.

You snow guys can go ahead and put your snow stuff back in the sheds.

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I freakin hope so!

8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Easy there, don't jinx it dude.

9. DVS Hardscaper

No jinxing here.

I'm pretty good at making predictions about some things.

Snow for Feb is Done.

March, there may be (1) 3-inch storm.

10. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you're right.