Is it Webworm

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by moreira85, Sep 4, 2013.

1. moreira85

moreira85 LawnSite Member

I don't have a pic but I can take one. Trying to figure out what's going on with this lawn. Started with a small patch and now spreading all over the area. The leaf blades look like they are gone and like they are ragged and chewed down to the stolon. Whatever's not chewed looks like its straw like and matted down. I checked for grubs and nothing. Every morning I come out it just keeps spreading and disappearing. What should I look for. I had this problem 3 years ago nd it ll grew back over time. Here are some pics from a few years ago as it looks the same. You can see in the 3rd pic how the leaf blades are gone with just ragged brown edges.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We don't see webworm (Crambus sp) much around here. There are two generations per year. The second in late summer is more numerous and more damaging. Not much personal experience.

Cut into the thatch with a knife and search for the tunnels and green pellet feces.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...g-i62va6Y-B7Ue_3sTU1T7g&bvm=bv.51773540,d.aWc

Have you tried the "soap reveal"? Put about an ounce of dish detergent in a gallon of water and pour it over a one sqft suspected area. In theory, it should flush them out and up to the surface where you can find and count them. Also check at night when the worms come out. Heavy sprinkling just before nightfall would probably help. Use a flashlight.

3. moreira85

I did the soap test and nothing. This drove me crazy a few years ago and couldn't figure it out. The blades that are straw like pull out of the ground really easy.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What is the ground like under the dead turf???

5. moreira85

I'll check. I don't know that it's dead because it seems new grass is popping up in these spots.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

7. moreira85

I haven't found any insects or bill bugs at all. No webworms or feces from webworms. Can't figure it out. There are some good size mushrooms growing as well so wondering if the underlying issue is some type of fungus. I have recently started to mow it shorter than usual.

8. Smallaxe

Mushrooms may mean too much water... Do you have Axle Grease soil???

9. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

You come up with these phrases then scatter them like so many weeds seeds throughout the forum. What does "ragged and chewed down to the stolons" have to do with too much water?

10. Smallaxe

Mushrooms indicate dry soils to you???

One of my axle grease lawns actually has whitish patches like that in an area that receives burning from the high mid-day sun... mushrooms ALSO indicate too much water... Too much water causes poor rooting in the heavier clay-loam topsoils leaving them vulnerable to burning... if there is REAL chewing down to the stolons then a real animal would be involved and there wouldn't be any discussion about cultural practices...

The thing that needs to be understood is that problems above ground are directly related to problems below ground... in botany we learn that the roots are a part of the same plant as the stems and leaves... WHO feeds the stems and leaves? and why do we think that too much water, not enough air in the root zone has nothing to do with dieback at the surface?? even when the dieback looks like it died back to the stolons???