1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth fixing or rebuilding old engines?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Jun 12, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few old left over briggs and stratton engines and today i went out and bought a honda 4 horse for my edger and i fell bad and want to send it back. I am not sure if it is worth trying to rebuild these things and what a repair shop would charge to repair them all. THey are 3 to 5h.p engines and all briggs.
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You can o what I do, take them to an auction sale. You would be surprised what people will pay for used stuff. Unless you are a good mechanic or can put up with downtime it is probally better dollar wise to put the new engine in. I live in the country and we are surrounded with Amish people, they are always looking for engines to fix.
  3. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<br>Don't go to the trouble. Keep them around though for externals for future engines.
  4. bdemir

Well i have a mclane edger and i tried replacing the briggs witha honda engine but now the belt is not long enoough because the shaft is left back so far. Now i fell like my only option is back to a briggs. What can i do ? Has anyone replaced a motor on a mclane or a kees edger?
  5. bdemir

What can i do to this mclane? Do i have to put a briggs motor back on it?
  6. Hello Everybody:<p>AS far as I know any American made engines, you should be able to Short Block it, in most cases.<p>Honda doesn't offer a short block, by the time you do machineing & replacing worn parts you better off buying new engine, in most cases!<p>But need to check a few things first, make sure the throttle shaft for carb has no wear, if you short block it & throttle shaft has excessive wear on carb, engine will not last long. It will fill up quick with dirt?<p>I paid good hard money for people to rebuild engines, I was very unhappy with end results. <p>So I rebuilt a few myself & still unhappy, they didn't last near as long as new engines or engines that were short blocked.<p>This is for bdemir?<p>Do I understand you right & the only problem is the belt is not long enough?<p>If that's the case, then just get a longer belt, at the most you might just have to try a few sizes. I don't mean buy a bunch of different sizes.<p>Just go to shop, auto store or belt supplier, make sure engine is shoved as close to cutter head as possible & try afew belts until get tightest one that will fit so when belt stretches you will still be able to adjust the belt to proper tension?<p>We have people that come to shop regular doing this & we let them try different ones till they find one that fits. You don't have to run it, so should be no problem.<p>I hope this was some help for you?<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
  7. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

On the small 3-10hp engines it is usually not worth the parts cost and time to rebuild. Discount houses have complete bolt on replacements at very reasonable prices, and they are completely brand new. Now, getting onto the larger 18+hp engines, that is another story.
  8. bdemir

Heres a funny one. I am replacing an edger motor from a briggs to a honda and the 4h.p. honda cost 75.00 less than the 2.5h.p. honda. They are both classified as edger replacement motors but i just dont get it is it supply and demand or what.
  9. klc

klc LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I have tested and found out it is better if you trade for new machines often<br>One you have warrenty<br>two they dont break as often