Is it worth it to advertise in the Phone Book

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by loborojo338, Jun 14, 2006.

1. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

Well I have a year under my belt and I was wondering if you guys advertise in the local Phone Books? Last year we ran an add in the local news paper and it did fairly well. This year it has really slowed down, and it costs about $160 a month to advertise in it. I wonder if my money would be better spent by using the phone book.:confused: Thanks in advance.

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I get some calls but if you really want to get your name out get business card, phone book, and put out lots of fliers.

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard most of the people on this site say that they don't get much business from it, however, the guy who lives across the street from me (who owns a landscape company as well) says that the only form of advertising he does if his business card size ad in the yellow pages. He has a full schedule every year.

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Yellow Pages doesn't work fo rme

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to have business card size, it paid for itself x2 but I went with a much larger ad and got the same amount of business then when winter hit I couldn't afford to pay the yellow pages bill.

That was a bad screw up on my part. I jumped but no parachute :( The one thing I didn't like about it was that it generated estimates all across the city as well as outside and with my flyers I like to pick my areas close to me.

6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

That's my thought on it. This city is the largest city in the country, land wise. I won't advertise in YP because it'll attract too many estimates that won't be worth the drive in distance. There's a lot to keep in mind when deciding. Good luck!