Is it worth it???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiremanDud, Sep 24, 2005.

1. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

There's a nice new Neighborhood that just opened up 350K plus but they have zero lot lines. It would probably be about half hour or less to do the cut with the basic's. I passed out flyers in there only 100 and got two calls from it. One of the callers said that the next door neighbor is paying 55 per month. I usally charge 20 to 25 per cut but there a little bigger yards. Is it worth doing the job so I can show off my work and advertise my company with my truck signs to hopefully gain more clients????

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my math says thats about $12-13/cut. I don't stop for less than $30 any more with the price of fuel, not worth it in my opinion,

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with BSDeality for another reason: NEVER make a sacrifice for 'potential' future business. To me, there is no such thing as potential: Either they're already a customer or they're not, so I see no potential in that. To me, potential is WHEN a car is doing 90mph and it has a bit of reserve BUT it's cross-firing or something appears wrong, THAT has the potential of going faster IF the problem is fixed BUT if the car isn't even moving to begin with, there's no potential in that.

Back to sacrificing your rates to attract customers...
    When you do that, you breed a little monster, and this monster is called the discount rate. Start ONE yard too cheap and you'll either gain nothing (happens all the time) OR gain a slew MORE just as cheap - The new yards will not pay more but they will ALL expect the SAME service as IF they paid more, and the longer you do it, the larger this little monster grows as you continue to feed it until one day the monster backs you into a dark corner and you'll have to make a choice you know you won't like making.

Just my experience... Keep passing out flyers, 100 is good for starters, think 100 a day for about 2 weeks, that should help.
    OR, you can low-ball and gain your customers that way but one day I can guarantee you will feel it bite you in the azz.

4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you can charge your usual rate and still be under the competition so why not do that? If you are already cheaper and still making a good profit then you're just simply a better business man. That is not lowballing. I agree with the other guys about any further discount to get business or showcase your work. It usually doesn't pay off.

5. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

Well I went by the yard today and it is a very small yard. So I told her 60 a month all year and it will take me 20minutes to do. If I can get the neighbors then it would be 60 * 3= 180 which sounds pretty good to me.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi FiremanDud,

All of business is an experiment and we all learn from what we attempt. I would suggest knowing what you need to charge to make a profit and shoot for that price. From what we have read in the past, loss-leaders tend not to work in the service industry.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates.Make your own logo Free.</center>

7. Sasquatch52

Sasquatch52 LawnSite Member

I would totally go for it. if you can make $ 60.00 in an hour, then thats pretty good money. If you offer good prices, and do good quality work, then the neighbors will notice, and you will get more business. If you can get just a few of them as clients, then they can also lead you onto nice landscaping jobs as well...

Somethin' to think about...