Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kneeboard85, Nov 1, 2005.

1. kneeboard85

kneeboard85 LawnSite Member

Heres my situation....... I have the oppurtunity to enter into a partnership with a friend in a lawncare business who will be ready to go into his second season next year. I have just graduated from my 3 year business program and feel that it is a perfect situation since i have the business smarts and he has attended school for horticulture. I have worked on a golf course for 4 years and have what I would say is a fairly good understanding of turf care. Before I talk to him about it further I was hoping to get some insight on what exactly the oppurtunities are in this industry. I feel that we would make a good team as partners but am skeptical of the growth rate, is this an industry that takes a long time to establish oneself or is hard work repaid relatively quickly?
    Any feedback would be appreciated
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Partnerships are bad biz especially with a friend. Do a search on here about all the bad things that happen when you do this. If you still want to go threw with it get an attorney to draw up an agreement with both in case it does not work out, can save you a lot of trouble. I personally would not want a partner, if I make it fine, if not I have only me to blame.
  3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I'd agree.

No partners.
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Partnerships in this business are not generally a good idea. You can make just as much money alone. Think it all the way thru. Good Luck.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One out of ten partnerships work out decent, the rest do not.
    Thus, the odds are 90 percent against you.
  6. kneeboard85

kneeboard85 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice on the partnership, Besides that though, what would you say the average income is for an owner and what would you say the income of an owner that has done considerably well for himself would be?
  7. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

depends on how much business
  8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The money that you make depends a lot on the services that you offer and the area that you are in.

In a place that has a reasonably good group of potential customers, I would say that a net income of 60K per year is very doable - more if you work during the winters.

A good business owner? The sky is the limit. Some are breaking through 500K and more.

This depends a lot on the person. A lot of guys don't make it in this business, but others make a fortune. Is there enough money in this business to make it worth it? Yes.