Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Willofalltrades, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Theres a 1995 Ford F250 for sale near me.
    -91,500 Mi
    -4x4
    -regular cab
    -5.8L gas
    -Auto
    -No Rust
    -Clean interior (no tears in the seat, no dash cracks, no giant stains)
    -No body dents
    -Brakes look newer as well as u-joints
    -No evidence of a plow, could be wrong though
    -$4,800 asking
    -I did notice oil leaking by the rear mainseal (I didn't have time to crawl under but there were a few noticable oil puddles)

I need a truck next year. I'm pretty sure I want a new truck with a diesel because it will be my main work horse and my daily driver. Or I get a used truck for $5,000 or less and buy a car (tossin around Ideas). Opinions?

2. Willofalltrades

I can get some pics If you so desire...

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a pretty good price. I always run a new car pretty hard to make sure the tranny isn't shifting funny before I buy it.

4. Willofalltrades

I'll get pics. tomorrow and have them up in the morning.

5. Willofalltrades

What do you think?

Picture 001 e.png

Picture 003 e.png

Picture 005 e.png

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

That little bit of oil would not scare me. Remember, oil is like blood, a little spill goes a long way. It might just be the pan has a few loose bolts that need to be tightened. Or, if it is the rear main, just drop the tranny, replace and put back. 4 hour job at most. I did the one on my F-150 with the help of a neighbor.

Looks like a good price for what seems to be a decent truck.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I picked up a truck just like that in august. The body on mine is not in that good of condition but it runs strong. I bought it with 87k miles and it now has about 92k on it.

The worst part about the truck is the fuel milage. I'm getting about 9mpg when I'm not pulling my trailer. When I have the trailer behind me, I'm getting 6-7mpg.

Good Luck!

8. Willofalltrades

Thats all the truck would be used for is towing a trailer.
    Wait, pushin some snow.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I dont think thats such a bad price. The oil leaking might be a rear main seal or the Ford oil pans were noted for rotting out. A new pan is around 150.00 and about 4-5 hours to put one in (if you have the right tools). Just remember its used so it could run very well for a week or two then "kaput" Also when you buy something that old you tend to replace more and more parts to make it right. Trust me I know!!!! we put about 4k into our 94 and sold it for 5500.:cry:

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

It should habdle the above work just fine! What size trailer are you pulling?