1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packey, Feb 13, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a john deere walk behind mower it is a 48 inch cut with a 17 hp kawi engine the mower has 197 hours on it. It is not a hydro but a gear drive. it seems to run really well I cant tell how it cuts because of the snow. Is 1100 a good price or would I be smart to offer 850 and see if the owner bites. Also I am trying to find out how this type of mower does on hills
  2. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Offer the 850 what have you got to lose. 197 hours is low hours, heck its still getting broken in. If he doesn't take 850 then you can always go up from there. One trick I have used when trying to negotiate a lower price is when you offer him 850 pull the cash out of your pocket and while you make him the offer you are counting out the 8 one hundred dollar bills and one fifty dollar bill. Sometimes the sight of the cash is hard for some people to pass up. Of course he could counter offer with a Louisville slugger to the noggin and then your out 850 and a mower. Bring someone with you if you try the cash trick.