Is it worth it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by larryinalabama, Jul 2, 2008.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The aera I live in is growing however its still small, and Im not sure I can get enough accounts when I go full time. The good part of the city is 50 miles from home. So what Im thinking is to buy an old Astro Van and load it up with equiptment, then rent a storage place to keep it in the city. I could then drive my 40mpg Tercel to get to the truckand work in the city 2 or 3 days per week. Do you fellers think this would be a good idea? Im planning to buy a box truck and will be luckey to get 10mpg so a 120 mile round trip will cost too much in gas.
  2. logical

logical LawnSite Member

Pretty simple math here...every day you take the car instead of the truck you save maybe $35 in gas. Take that times the number of trips per month and see if it's less than the storage fees. If it is 2 or 3 per week than you have $350 in gas savings every month. If the van is needed only because of this plan, subtract that out too.

Is there any work to be had along your route instead? Will the equipment be safe there? What about maintenance...will you end up hauling it home every other day anyhow?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would look at things a little different, no offense, but there's a lot more than just the cost of gas involved, for one you're looking at doing monthly oil changes on that car and that's just for starters... Then there's the cost of storage and the possibility of theft, much as I dislike bringing that up.

We have folks here doing the same thing, not for scaping per se but they drive 50-100 miles from the country to the city and back every day, for work related purposes.

So the way I see things if that is what you do, the first labor hour of the day pays for these expenses. If you're all right with that it basically means putting in close to a full days work when you make the haul, I think then it might be worth it.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I kinda see it like topsites. It's like driving an extra 5 miles to save 3 cents a gallon on gas. By the time you get there, you just used up the savings you had "thought" you saved by going the extra 5 miles.

My vote would be to find even more work and drive the truck. 1 or 2 extra jobs will off set the fuel usage. Use the car for estimates and running for parts or whatever you might need to do as long as it will fit in the car.
  5. larryinalabama

Thanks Loogical and Topsites for the replys.
    I figured the gas saving to be 35 to 50$ per day. The theft thing could be a problem.
  6. larryinalabama

thanks ACL the extra job might be the right idea, Im just trying to think out my options.

Mabey a girl friend in town, just stay at her house for the night LOL