1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is It Worth It??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by perfection lawn care, Apr 29, 2002.

1. perfection lawn care

perfection lawn care LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing a ztr in the near future. I currently use a 48" scag hydro wb with a 14 kohler, and sulky as my main unit. The ? is will a Z be more effcient, better job, and worth the extra $$? I am a small LCO that mows part time, 15 weekly accounts @ appr. 12hrs from start to finish mowing only, and not all the other little odd jobs they have me do. I am currently turning away new customers do to work load, I work 3rd shift at the post office full time also. If I purchase a Z it would be a 48" or 52" have not decided yet. Would my best bet be to just demo a couple of units on different days to see? Thanks for your advice.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes...in most cases a ZTR will be faster unless that properties are small. I have a new Hustler Super Z 60", very fast!

hustler 2.jpg
  3. perfection lawn care

Most of my lawns are average for my area, most are around 45min in & out. I have one account that takes me between 2 to
    2 1/2 hrs that is a apartment complex. These times are without any help and include: edge, mow, trim, and blower. What did your hustler cost? thanks
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a mailman full time . I.ve been cutting for 8yrs. Just curious as to your motivation for getting into lawn business. I still use 48" toro wb w/ velke. Can't justify expence of ztr yet.
  5. perfection lawn care

I also use to be PTF and being in so many different areas of town seeing what some lco call a professional job made me sick along with the their prices. It first started out as a hobby and has slowly and steadily grown. What better way to make contacts then to be someones mailman. They know you and trust you already, than they spread your name around. I have never had to advertise that is for sure.
  6. jeffex

90% of my customers for lawn service are my mail patrons. I'm a t-6 with 5 routes so it was a great way to build up customers. If my wife goes back to work and gets health bennys I'm gone the next day from the PO
  7. jeffex

I have saved the money for a exmark lazer zhp 52 but I put it into savings for now . Most lawns I have are 1/4 to 1/5 acre and the wb is still the best tool.
  8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Might want to look at a mowing production chart to make your decision easier. The only reason we even have a WB is for steep berms or fenced yards with 3' gate.