1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth it

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lazer_Z, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have been debating on gitting a pest / fert lic but all i do now is just basic mowiing package ex mow,trim and then do clean up's in fall & spring and hedge trimming but i would like to expand to doing fertilizing and such

So my main question being is it worth it to go through the testing and time fir the lic or am i just dreaming too big

Any help would be great

Thank you

GLAWNLLC LawnSite Member

make sure in your state you do not need experience of "X" amount of years to get a license.

If you don't dream bigger, what is the sense of dreaming at all?

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Lazer_Z,

If you are interested in this then go for it! :)
  4. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Thanks guys but i think i'm going to hold off until i can do a little research and see what's involved before i go nuts trying to find everything out all at once
  5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Do it. It takes time. And it takes study. But once you get your license, and learn how to properly apply pesticides, you'll learn "the secret"!

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Question about what it takes to get the pesticide license -

Here's my scenario. Haven't taken the test yet, or even started studying, although I do have the literature, because the Dept. of Agri. told me I have to get it under a company / inc. (or whatever, don't remember the details). Meaning that I had to have my own company or work for a company - in other words, I can't do it as an individual. I don't want to make my business into a "business" because I solo and just do lawn maintenance part time(and truthfully, I don't do alot of fertilizer apps, although by marketing to my customers, more are adding that) but I do want to be legitimate.

My question: did you guys have to run your license through a business? How does that work?
  7. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Thanks for the info quiet
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Some states are easier than others. I attended an 8 hr seminar at the U. of Ga. at Athens, paid $25.00 took a 200 question test and recieved my license. I then sent a copy of my Ga. license to the state of NC. plus a fee, dont remember the amount, and they approved me for a NC license. I now hold license's in two states. In Ga you must also have a contractors license in addition to a pest license in order to apply pesticides. That may be due to the fact that I live in NC instead of Ga. I'm not sure. I was told that there was somewhere around a 70% failure rate for first time applicants for the GA license, so studying is a must. I was never told that I had to have a business in order to get a license altho I am a Chapter S-Corp, I dont think it would have made a difference. Also be prepared to do several more hrs of classes to maintain your license. I think its about 15 hrs before you can renew them, not sure of the exact amount. I had experience with haz-mat training before taking the test and it help me pass it. I didnt recieve my study materials until the day of the seminar so if you are going to go to one be sure to sign up eary so they will have time to send you your study guides and then be sure to know the material or you will be wasting you time.
  9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. Also, no seminar here - I paid for the literature and they said read it, then to mail my application for testing, and go take the test. A seminar and studyguide would be really helpful and save me lots of time. Oh well, I have a few weeks off in December, you know where I'll be - the library!
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of classes are held at the various shows around the country, The GIE and the SNA both hold classes at their shows. Check into a show close to you and sign up for some. There is more to these shows than just equipment on display. They have a lot about diseases, insects and weed identification along with suggestions on treatment, storage and disposal of chemicals, and safe handleing of these chemicals. The prices range from free to affordable. A definate help toward getting your license. The shows are also a great place to get your credit hours for keeping your certification once you get your license.