Is it worth it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by caz1, Dec 4, 2004.

1. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

as i wrote before i'm trying to start a lawncare and snowremoval biz just part time for now i have a full time job in the day that i want to quit asap however the market in my area is about 10,000 homes i could be high ar low most like high but the problem is the market seem flooded with this kind of biz i can think of at least 7 companys providing at least lawncare. So the question is is it worth it to go lageit with having to pay taxes and all that or should i say forget about it all i know is that the prices around here seem really low to what you guy get but i love doing the lawn care stuff

thanks in advance ;)
    caz

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

How far away from next town are you? Could you make it cost effective to travel further? Are there any good commercial properties around you could get contracts on? Have you considered doing tree work or something else maybe your town needs but doesn't really seem to have yet (specializing)? If it's a biz you love it would be worth a shot to try as there are guys that get in for a quick buck and get out but there in lies the problem. Low ballers. Sounds like from what you've said guys are already working real cheap. Give as much info as you can about properties you're scouting. Residentals or commercials? Is there a way you can get a competative advantage in your area?

3. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

the nearest town i aready figured in and after that the next nearest town is an hour away the lot in my area are mostly small ave size is 60x150.

4. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Caz1, my advice is this. I you love it, try it. Buy a decent self propelled 21" mower, a small blower and weed eater. Market yourself to townhouse neighborhoods. If you charge around $20.00
    each you could make back what you spent. If you like it, you will do good work. If you do good work, you will get more work. Be reliable. If you start part time, just keep a record of your earnings and expenses. (free tip if you itemize on your taxes the expenses can really save you money). Your tax person can factor the earnings in with your regular income if it's part time. I did that for years. If your business develops though, definately buy insurance.

5. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

so should i hold off on getting a tax# and the name registerd i would like to aleast get the name thing going

6. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Caz Do not worry about a tax number now. Keep things as simple as humanly possible until you develop a business. You can declare your earnings from your lawn business on your regular 1040. You will have to check with your local gov. offices on name registration. If you have a name you want to use, see if you can reserve it for now. I recomend that you just operate under your own name for now. Get checks made out to you. Once you develop a good business ( and you can!), then investigate a registered name. Registered names usually come with a lot of red tape. Also WHEN things go well reinvest in good equipment that lasts. Reinvesting is critical in building a business. Most guys heere started with nothing. One more tip. Advertise the best you can to start. Word of mouth will do the rest. Make up a flyer on the computer and leave one on every house that sells in your area. (new owner, new lawn service) this works! Get them before they can buy a mower

7. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

Newbomb thanks for the advice it sounds really good and look forward to trying it in the spring I'm going try putting flyers in a weekly clasified paper have to find a cost on this first i now it 11cent per copy to have them made at staples if anybody has anyother ways for lowbudget advertiseing it would be great to here and thank you for the advice newbomb