Is it worth starting?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FlyByWireMarine09, Feb 6, 2006.

1. FlyByWireMarine09

FlyByWireMarine09 LawnSite Member

Okay, I just graduated high school and know the landscaping business well because when I was about 14-16 years old I had a little neighborhood thing going. Well, I realize that now there is a heck of a lot of competition in the field.
    So, my question is, is it worth starting a professional landscaping business up in the chicago area with all the competeion? What steps can I take to get started now for spring??? I know that it would take a hell of a lot of work and preperation being that its already February, but is it too late to try and get something going now? Im interested and I could get the financing for it if I really wanted to.
    Please any advice would be awesome!

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Well from what i can understand from the more established members on the board, is that, its very easy to get going with a business, its easier to get clients becuase you dont have to charge as much to make the same amount of money as the bigger companies. Starting out, you have low overhead costs allowing you to turn an easier profit. Is it fare to the bigger companies, well i dont know

3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

There is going to be tons of competition in any major city you go to. Competition is great I think. It's a challenge. My business is in a major city in FL and there are more lawn/landscaping companies then you can ever imagine. Companies come and go every season. If you have the drive and the quality of work, you'll be fine. My first year I thought the same thing and ended up with 42 accounts......and I started in the end of August. I was more then pleased with that. Word of Mouth is everything. If you go forward with it, bust your a$$ and make it happen. Good luck to you.

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

NO

but if u work ur butt off and have no time for anything else then i say yes...u gotta spend every sec u are not asleep workin one something with it for the most part...so if u wanna be tired and work real hard fro the first 5-10 years then ok it is but if ur jst gonna go out the like a little <> then NO....take classes at a local college bussiness classes ull never stop learnin...thats what im doing dude

oh and dont finacne u dont want to go into bussiness in debt or only finace a little...trust me on that one

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

first you do a demographic study to determine if there is a need, or room for another lco, which is part of the business plan you need to prepare....

just a question, your a former marine, and a commercial airline pilot at 18 years old, how did you manage that........????:dizzy:

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Not going against Dave:p but start at the end:dizzy:

Work back wards. What do you need to live on. This is you goal. How many hours will you work each week- times how many weeks each year. Now you know the labor rate that you will pay yourself, (include taxes). How much will your overhead cost. Divide this by the hours you will work. Do not forget to plan for growth and add this in to overhead. Add profit. Now you know what you need to charge each hour. Use Dave's demographic study to see if you can sell work at this price.
    But I have to also ask about being a pilot. All the pilots I know make a lot more than grass cutters. Why not just keep doing that

7. daveintoledo

i like that....backwards is very logical actually .... i figured many quit when they start the business plan, i know i thought about it....:p

8. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. The marine part is what I want to know. I served 8 years in the Corps and deserve the right to use the term Semper Fi. Those of you who served in the Corps know what I'm referring to. How at 18 are you a 'former marine'? Just curious is all. Trying not to sound like an ass. I just take this serious.

I could nail you and say there is no such thing as a 'former marine'

9. daveintoledo

urrrraaaggg...... the pilot thing is just as unbeleivable as being a marine.....
    you didnt mention being in the corps, and basic inlistment used to be 3 or 4 years and you cant join till your 17...?????
    :dizzy:

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

daveintoledo, Enlistment is different now. They have many different ways that you can serve. You can do 4/4 or 2/2/4 and so on. However, that still would not account for the age discrepancy. I am not going to attack FlyByWireMarine09 though.

FlyByWireMarine09, I started late last year, around mid April. It was a slow start, but by the end of the season I was up to 60+ accounts. We have tons of comp in this area. You can not go down the street with out seeing a few lawn boys.