Is It Worth Taking The Plunge For A Zero Turn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&J Customs, May 2, 2008.

1. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

I have a small yard business with right at 15 yards averaging $30 a yard alternating every other week such as 8 one week and 7 the next, is it worth making payments on a zero turn? Im really looking to get bigger, ive been thinking making it a full time job but im not sure if its worth the payments. this would be my first buy on credit because ive bought everything i own with cash and im thinking it might be time to establish some credit also. tell me what yall think i should do.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Dont buy nothing on credit, stay part time till you have good equiptment and enough customers. Thats my plan.

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

They are worth it, but as you know, very expensive. If that is your equipment in the above paragraph, I say run it into the ground as long as those two residentials riders are holding up with the 15 accts you currently have. When you acquire more accts, look closer at a Z then to keep up with demand and minimize downtown from inoperatable equipment.

4. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

ZTR's save more time than you might think. I never knew how much time I spent turning around until I got one. Cut it almost in half. Stopping and backing up to get a spot you missed is just a matter of pulling back on the bars - zip, and you're done.

If you want to get into a commercial ZTR cheap, and don't mind driving over to KY to get it, I have a 60" Dixon 560 I'm looking to unload. Engine (20hp Kohler Magnum) is shot, deck and hydro drive are great, residential use only (my farm). I would have fixed it but when I went to price up a new engine, they offered me such a deal on a diesel Kubota that I ended up taking it home on credit. My wife is some kinda mad about that one...

Anyway, $1k and it's yours. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

In all honesty drive those tractors off a cliff and buy yourself a good walkbehind. You will get done alot faster with a WB than you do with those tractors. I can do 15 lawns in my sleep. If this is really what you want to do you need at least 50 if your going to work solo. It rained all day Monday and my father and I finished our 80 lawns today at 12.

Once you build up a solid customer base then look into buying a good ZTR.

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Never buy on credit, always pay in cash. And with just 15 lawns per week a ztr is a little much. You should go get a commercial walk behind with a 36'' or 48'' deck. You can sell those lawn tractors of yours and use that money to help pay for the walk behind. You can even put a sulky on the mower too, so you wouldn't even have to walk. Save your money and buy a commercial walk-behind and then get more customers. The walk-behind will allow you to grow as a business and handle more customers. Then once you have plenty of customers, then you can buy your self a ztr. Good luck, and remember always pay with cash!

7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Get yourself a nice new (or used) 48" or 52" hydro walkbehind with a sulky and you would do fine. You would still save time over the tractors and the expense would be less.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

ZTR's are great, but expensive. Dont buy on credit...if you can save for a good used one, great. I agree with the guy who said to sell the tractor and put it in on a good used hydro wb with a sulky...you'll save time and alot of money of the Z

9. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree with everyone else also. ztr isnt needed unless you have more work than you can handle. I also am part time for now and I only use a 48" bobcat walkbehind and a snapper 21" they do just fine and is alot easier than a tractor. I can breeze through 20 lawns in a day and a half without any trouble

10. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

Went to Kubota dealer to get oil filters for my tractor. Left with a ZD331 with 72" deck.
    I could not pass up 42 months 0% intrest. My property is 5 acres, which is why I bought the 331. It sure takes some getting use to, but I'm improving. You mMay consider the 0% financing if you are in a position to go that route. Good luck with your decision.