Is it worth the extra $ (br600)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J.T.M., Mar 7, 2008.

1. J.T.M.

J.T.M. LawnSite Member

In your opinion is it worth the extra $100 for the br600 verses the br550? I would like a simple yes or no answer with no discussion please.

2. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

Yes! It's powerful.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes.

and because i seem to like to be wordy... My dealer tried to sell me the BR550, they were trying to tell me that the 2 blowers were basically the same... WTF? Not even CLOSE to the same in power, the BR600 is listed as about 100 CFM more output (sorry, don't have the numbers in front of me for exact stats). Also the 600 is actually LIGHTER than the 550...

In all honestly though, and I've used mine for about a month and a half last fall, I just don't see the huge power output. Maybe I was expecting too much? I don't know, But my old Echo PB603 did almost as good as the new high dollar Sthil...

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I have both, I wouldn't even get the 550 if I had to do it all over again.
    The difference in cfm's is huge, the mph stays about the same (right at 200) but from a br-420 that puts out somewhere over 400 cfm's then the 550 puts out around 500... So the 550 is a little better than the 420 but not by much, then the 600 oddly enough puts out right over 700!

It's a big, big difference, the 600 really leaps out ahead so as for bang for the buck you won't regret spending the extra.

6. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

yes, get the 600. Don't even understand why they make a 500 and 550. If your gonna spend the money, might as well get the best.:drinkup:

7. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I went in yesterday and looked at them. My dealer told me if I'm doing huge amounts of leaves, get the 600. For normal grass clippings and stuff like that get the 550. That's what my dealer told me anyway.

8. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I went in yesterday and looked at them. My dealer told me if I'm doing huge amounts of leaves, get the 600. For normal grass clippings and stuff like that get the 550. That's what my dealer told me anyway.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly speaking and of course this involves even more money :laugh:

But for light stuff I used the bg-55 handheld for two years now, thou I think this year I'm getting the 85 (it's a sturdier model, the 55 is about wore out)... But unless it's really thick and clumpy the handheld is fine for most of that, even on the odd day when it gets BAD, I might regret leaving the backpack at home but the 600 is mostly for heavy stuff.

One advantage it does have, with all that extra power you don't need to rev it all the way. For most fluffy light stuff a mere twitch of the throttle takes care of it, I've been known to clear walkways on idle with the 600 :laugh:
    I just used it on a mulch job, idle works great for blowing that mulch that got on the paved areas and the landscaping timbers without disturbing the areas where it needs to be... Thou a handheld would've done as well but I didn't bring it with me.

The 600 might and likely will be overkill in some situations, but you don't have to go WOT and it can't be beat for leaves.
    And it can be used year-round as a one-size fits all, a tank of fuel in the 600 can last 2-3 maybe 4 days easy, when used properly.
    Just heavier and a bit bulky, I like the handhelds.
    If money is an issue get the 600 and skip the handheld for a later year.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I didn't think about that... I use a Sthil BG85 most of the time. For grass clippings when mowing daily it really is a LOT faster then straping on the backpack. But the BP is handy for large properties with lots of paved surfaces, and also if I get cought in the rain, the BP will blow grass off of wet concrete a lot faster, the handheld kinda laughs at that.