1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth to go from hardscaping to landscaping?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rocha_Construction, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Rocha_Construction

Rocha_Construction LawnSite Member

We have a very solid hardscaping company specialized in stone work.

The problem is that with the economy we have, it is becoming more difficult to get jobs to keep us busy for the entire year.

I have talked to a couple of landscapers and both have told me that they make almost no money from the landscaping, but that it offers you a better position when the home owner wants to build a patio.

Since the answers could be biased, I thought that it would be better to ask here.

Is it worth the trouble of learning the business (learn the plants and tricks) and start mowing and designing planting areas?

2. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

The more you offer the more work you can get
    Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

They are telling you that so you stay out of Maintenance so they have less competition. Or they are doing it wrong and really aren't making much money.
  4. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

i am at around 20% on landscaping and 12 to 14% on hardscapes.

Theres money everywhere you just have to go get it.
  5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Installs make more money, but landscaping/mowing provides a constant cash flow.
  6. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

we offer just about everything accept for weekly maintenance. I have decided to add a maintenance crew for next season. They will be a regular revenue source, but I am looking at them as more of a foot in the door for construction and install jobs
  7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

You don't want to mow, but you should be able to landscape your hardscape's. If you do that right then that would help you get more work. I can't stress enough that you need to do this right, it make's all the difference.
  8. kennymo81

kennymo81 LawnSite Member

I switched from renovating swimming pools part time to landscaping part time. I have found it easier to keep lawn accounts if you are able to also lay pavers, pour concrete etc. I sell a quite a few Belgian Block borders to my lawn accounts. They are easy so easy to install and people seem to go crazy over them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Rocha_Construction

Rocha_Construction LawnSite Member

Thank you for all the answers.

This is the same idea I had when considering landscaping as one of our offers. But then I heard about the low to non existent profit margin.

Well, I will look into the equipment needed.