Is it wrong to "get what you can?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ElephantNest, Mar 13, 2004.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

What I mean is this:

Got a call from a flyer, went to give an estimate. Lady on the phone was of foreign decent. Asked if we removed gardens. I get there, she has a large raised bed, in three tiers, on her sloping front lawn. She wants it completely removed, and sodded. Area I guess is about 30' by 15'.

Material: tractor for the day and all debris loaded into trucks and trailers, $100.00 ( a friend ), using existing sand underneath for grading, sod $100.00, dump $50.00 (2 loads), about 12 man hours I think. My first thought was $800.00. I left without saying anything. She calls the house about two hours later, asks when we could do it, if we agreed on a price. I said within one week. She sounded happy, hung up. I had told her I would have a proposal ready the next day. She calls again the next day, about noon, on my cell phone. I said I didn't have the papers, but I think it came to about $1400.00, I waited to feel for her reaction. Nothing. She says to come over, I do, with a contract for $1640.00, lol, told her I forgot to add the price of the rental for the machine.

She glady signed, two copies, smiling the entire time, with her daughter right there the whole time who spoke perfectly good english, was in school at Tulane, and when I told her my designer graduated from LSU, she was sold. She said LSU has the best landscape engineering program in the state, and we must be good. :D

Is this wrong? I mean, I quoted a price, they went for it, but I kinda' feel like I took advantage of them, but not really. I just think it was a very high price. lol Was their choice. I am going to trim all of their hedges also, for free.:D
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

perhaps after the work is completed give them a lower bill, and then you will be considered GOD to them for coming under the estimate

JB1LNDSCPR LawnSite Member

Absolutely not. Take it all if you can. You can't feel guilty about somethings. If i felt bad for all the people out shoveling there driveways then i would be poor. Its not my fault they didn't hire someone to do it. (Sometimes you can tell if they dont have the money and then i do it for free)
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Youre going straight to HELL.
  5. tiedeman

from earth

LOL, too funny
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

When you own a business you set the price of your service. If your price is too high, people won't pay the price. She took your bid, your price isn't too high.

I'm not in business to make people feel good. I'm here to make $$.
  7. tiedeman

from earth

I have sometimes priced projects, completed them and come under the budget by A LOT. So I usually will knock off $50 to $100 from the bill. You should see the customers faces when they receive a lower bill.
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

It all comes out in the wash in the end. Some projects you have to cut your profits, or they may run a little over for unforseen problems. Other jobs will make up for those. This just happens to be one of the jobs that makes up for lost wages somewhere else. I wouldn't worry about it too much since there's women out there that are willing to pay up to $5000 for a purse, or spend more for their wardrobe in a year than you'll pay for a house. Heck, they don't flinch to spend $12,000/wk at a famous spa. Taking that into consideration I think you can put all your guilty feelings aside. She wouldn't have agreed to pay you that much if it wasn't worth that much to her.
  9. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

If you estimated wrong and it cost you more for material or whatever ,would you go back and ask for more money? I have never done that, if I quote a price thats the price. If I messed up and figured wrong and it cost me then thats my fault. I eat it. So if you bid high then you made more than you figured. Take it and run because that doesn't always happen, on the other hand if you want to really win her over when you go back to collect take a little off. You will gain a customer and she will probably be more inclined to tell her friends about you.
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Done well! Isn't being in business to make money?
    I can't see anything wrong, sold yourself and services, this is what is all about....don't worry, if your price was far out she would know:)

Did I read you said you would do her hedges for free?

Well there you go, make great on the 1st job, throw in a bit of passive cross sell, a bonus in this case and you look like the most honest, obliging, friendly bloke around, and I bet you get more work!

I reckon good on ya!

I'm not understanding your doubt here....good work is worth good dollars mate.