is it wrong to help a client screw a (can't say the word)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, since we can't use the "s" word anymore, we will refer to them as "inexperienced/inexpensive" lawnfellas. so, it went down like this: she calls for service. ferts, s+ f cleanups, mowing. i give her my prices, and my terms. she pulls out mr "s" price list, and compared them. so dig this, my scu fee was $300, his.......was $75. my mowing fee was $35. his....was $30. my fert pkg was $285.....his, was $150. i pull out my wallet , and show her my state cert cards. i also show her my ins document. i say, "ole "s" man can't be doing anything here, without these. and i'm willing to bet, he don't have em." she says she want's to sign with us, but the biggest price difference was the scu. what can she do? i told her simply to: call him, say u want to use his service. let him do the cleanup, pay him his $75, then cancel him. i hate doing scu anyhow, they just aint profitable. so, that's the way it went down. thanks for cleaning the mess for me new guy, and i hope you learned your lesson. did i do wrong?

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a pita. After receiving those prices from the other lco, she still called more lco's for a better price :confused:

Run Bobby, RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

kc

3. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

walk away unless you need an extra headache in your life...

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No. You didn't do any wrong. It is nothing different than any other business would do. If someone took their car to a body shop (b) and another shop (a)was willing to replace a few panels much cheaper, but this person wanted bodyshop (b) to do the paintwork, then bodyshop (b) would say to them. "Hey, as long as they are installed straight and correctly, we will do all the prep and paintwork." Same type thing.
    Now, keep in mind one thing...For $75, she may not get much of a cleanup, so don't complain when there is stuff left in the corners and beds, or out in the lawn area. You need to be prepared to make this up, and I wouldn't laying it on the customer with any "surcharge", either. YOU are the one that suggested this to her, and it woud benefit you to make up any as a courtesy. SHOW her what a real business does. You have the capacity and the knowledge. This will be something she will never forget and all you will be doing is arming yourself with reputation ammunition. She will end up telling people about it and a good rep will be spread about you. Sometimes a little extra goes a long way.

5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Ask him to do all you're clean ups. Seems like if he charges his price and you can add 25-50 bucks on top for yourself on other cust might be something to think about. Give him as many clean ups as he can do and at the end of the week when he needs to borrow money from you charge him interest. Make him your surf. When he can't pay you back take his equipment then rent it back to him. That should teach him.:) :)

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, she's all signed up.

7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you doing the clean up?

kc

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

keep her so you can tell us more stupid stories.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

nope, like i said, she used the other guy for the cleanup. and, that's good for me, i hate cleanups.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What, no more aerator and bench grinder for sale? :)