is it wrong

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

is it wrong to turn in a scrub that undercut you on price on one of your yards to the city for operating without a license. i havent done it, and dont think im mean enough to do it. thought crossed my mind while mowing today and wondered if anyone else had ever thought about doing something like this.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

He cut your throat, so why not cut his in return?

Do yourself and others in your area a favor...
    TURN HIM IN.

3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know he does not have a license? Either way I would mind my own business and move on. Thats definately frustrating though!

4. the scaper

-Vengence is the lords.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

It depends. If it is a neighborhood kid with a little business, leave him alone. I am 14 ,I don't have a liscence and am very careful who I advertise to. I can't really afford a liscence yet. I think I will register next year through my parents. However, if it is 16 you have to be to register, then I will do it on my 16th birthday of next year. To go along with my new truck!! If its an adult trying to make even more money after work, book em'. Please, not if its a kid. You'll have an easier time finding more work than he will.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's not hard for some people to find this out about literally almost anyone.
    If you really spent a cold winter day digging, you'd probably be shocked what you would find out.

7. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

The Dep Guy Around Here Takes Anonymous Tips For Guys Doing Illegal Applications. Some Of The Licensed Applicators Have Started Carrying Digital Cameras An Emailing License Plates/addresses And Pictures Of The Scrub In Action. There Arent Many People Policing Our Industry So If Someone Isnt Legit And They Take Your Work Its Your Fault If You Dont Protect Your Own Interests.

8. the scaper

I spend my cold winter days sitting by the fire counting my money and humping my wife! :D

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

It is better to beat him by being better in business. Reputation is a big part of success.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

im guessing by the look of the old beat up grasshopper and other equip, plus he didnt look too bright. no name operation never seen before. almost thought about asking for a card so i could "pass extra yards his way."
    he might have a license but doubt it. most people around here dont. just walk into city office and ask. its public record.

p.s. we mowed the city office last year and a bunch of parks. not very proffitable so we turned it down this year. still know lots of city people, though.

thought it would make an interesting post.