Is JD 727A worth $800 more than 717A?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Countrymow, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Countrymow

Countrymow LawnSite Member

I asked a question a few weeks ago about the 737 vs. 727. After demoing a 717, my decision is now between a 727 or 717. It boils down to whether the 54" deck (vs. 48"), 3" extra inches of trim on each side, and the 23HP (vs. 19HP) is worth $800 dollars plus tax in the long run. I just do not want to look back next summer and regret not stepping up, but I hate to part with the extra dough.

Thanks a bunch for your help.
  2. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

i would go with the bigger deck, bigger motor, but thats just me
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

can you use the 54 as opposed to the 48? I was able to use a 52 for all of my routes with no problem and currently if I had to buy another machine Id let my 61 go and buy a second 52. but thats just me...

are you goingto have clearance issues gettinga round things and between things?
  4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea basically, study your properties and potential properties. In my situation the next mower I get will be a 60" or larger becuase I'm picking up larger accounts. I say the 727.
  5. Countrymow

I sure would like to get a few more opinions. I am going tomorrow. Thanks again.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Countrymow, I owned a 717 and now have a 737 with the 60" deck. I wished many times I had kept the 717 because my properties are just to small for anything over a 48-52" deck. Also the 717 mulched everything into fine dust better than the 737 does. If I had to choose between the 2 you are looking at though I would go with the 727. I don't know if you are going to be running it with a bagger or mulcher but that extra 4 horses makes a big difference! It boils down to what size properties you are going to be mowing and how many obstacles/flowers/trees they have in the yard and how close they are. To big of a deck can cost you a lot more weedeating time. I feel like the 54" deck is the perfect size mower for about anything most LCO's will be doing. Just my .02
  7. Countrymow

I am not a professional. I mow my yard, my neighbor's yard and about 3 acres of a camp. Either size deck would be fine around the beds. I might be interested in a mulch kit or possibly even a bagger. Mostly I just discharge. I was just wondering how beneficial was the extra trim width and the 3 horses. $800 worth?

I really lean toward the 727. I don't think I would regret it. I might wish I had went ahead and bit that proverbial bullet if I bought the 717. My philosophy is usually get what you want the first time even if you have to wait to afford it.

That being said, I don't want to waste $800 if I will not realize the extra benefits.

Thanks so much for the information.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 717A and use it about half the time in my business (the other half time I use a w/b because of terrain, gates, bagging, etc). I push it pretty hard at times and have some hills. The 19hp Kaw is marginal on power for the machine and 48" deck. I had no intentions of using a bagger at the time of purchase, and now believe that a spindle driven bagger would not be a good idea. The power would be a bit too skinny for also driving a bagger unit.

Having said that, I really like my 717A. The machine is solid, handles very well, and runs nicely. The quality of cut is superb for the properties I cut, all northern cool-weather grasses. I am pleased with my choice. I did not consider a 727, primarily because of trailering considerations. On most of my properties, I could use a 54" deck, but I would have had to buy a different trailer.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly! I can't count the times that I went against my "gut" instinct on buying something, taking on a client, selling something etc when something inside is giving me the answer. I did it in just the past few weeks and have already regretted/paid for it several times since I went against "know what I should have done". Once again though good luck in your decision. Nothing like everytime you go to use a piece of equipment or a vehicle and tell yourself "I wished I had gotten what I really wanted".
  10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 727A and I love it. When I got started in this business (and I understand that you are now mowing commercially) I realized after a month that I needed commercial mowers. I had a friend encourage me to get a 717A, because that is what he started with. After talking to the dealer about a deal I had lined up for a demoed (200 hrs) 737, the dealer offered me a 54" 727 and I am glad that I went with it. The power and deck size of the 727 is definetly worth the extra money over a 717, especially if you are mowing a 3 acre camp. When you cut through it the first time and see that 4 1/2 foot cut path, you will love it.