1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is LawnSite.com hurting us or helping us?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KINGjosh, Dec 10, 2005.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

As an Industry in whole?No ly, It helped me. And is that the down falt?
    To much info on this site, and the combo of it being so easy of an industry to get into. Is that what makes Lawn Care its own down fall?

Why are we telling the ins and outs of the bizz? Is that are down fall? You dont see other industries doing that. Whats up with this bizz?

Ide like to see other insites on this. Without this getting deleted because of the Lawnsite, mention!:waving:
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

It shouldn't matter what the other guy knows. It comes down to customer loyalty, and the quality of work you do. I don't care how big a truck or how nice your mowers are. if you do a bad job, you loose accounts. if you have a homeowner 21" and a curved shaft trimmer, but you do a good job, you will pick up accounts.

truthfully, I don't see how it could hurt. if you are running a good business, what the other guy does shouldn't effect you too much.
  3. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Your really not going to have any competition from anyone on the boards. How many people do you know on this board that is in your area?
  4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

IMO, I don't think anyone will be put out of business nor be a huge success JUST because of Lawnsite. Bottom line is the owner of the business still has to implement things that will enhance his business. There is a wealth of good information on this site, but some owners may not have the fortitude to implement that within his/her business, or maybe it's just not a good fit. Same can be said about misinformation or just plain bad information, it happens every day. Sean has done a great job in putting together a place where we can share ideas, hammer out problems, or just shoot the breeze. But I don't think by sharing information we'll end up cutting our own thoats. Heck, think about it, how many LCO's are in your town? Are they all on Lawnsite.com? Probably not. I'm sure that there are some competing LCO's on here, in fact I know there are some. But the old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" comes to mind. It all boils down to how good of a business owner are you?

The only thing I have seen that may be a thorn to some is the younger generation that comes into Lawnsite.com and sees what it takes to run a legit, good operation. Then some, NOT ALL, but some will price their work cheaper. Reason? They don't have to pay for a roof over their head, don't have to pay rent or payments on an office, warehouse, or shop, medical insurance is paid by mom & dad, equipment is financed by mom & dad, etc., etc. But they have a pretty good knowlege (or at least have a way of gaining very good knowledge) of the business because of Lawnsite.com. And we all know that price can be a big obstacle in some cases. So I can see where Lawnsite may lend a hand in helping the younger folks gain a small advantage. But most good LCO's know of ways around that obstacle however, but it still surprises me how many people I see complaining about these "young kids" taking business away.

IMO it all comes down to how good your work is, reliability, business knowledge, professionalism, and how bad you want it.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Reading about the industry and having the brains to implement a business plan, and run a business, manage employees, cannot be learned from just reading. Only experience makes a businessman.
    The value of sites like this is , a seed might get planted in some of those younger folks,you do things the right way and follow the rules , think like a businessman and run a business. Instead of strenuous Pseudo-business lawn boy job.
  6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Knowledge (information) makes things possible - both good and bad...

Possibilities are only that unless someone can take action and make things happen...

I agree with different things stated by TClawn, Up North, and 6'7 330.

Certainly interested to see what others think - and don't worry All Lawns & Landcare - was a sensible question to ask
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have never met another LCO who has even heard of Lawnsite. That does not include those few I've met as a result of Lawnsite. Is the easily available information a problem? Not in the sightest. I believe it is an extremely small percentage of total LCOs (both legit and non-ligit) that are in this country that visit Lawnsite and other boards whether it is as members or visitors, probably less than 1 percent of 1 percent.

Lawnsite isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It is self-sustaining and for the most part self-policeing requiring only a moderate amount of input from Sean and the moderators.

I come to Lawnsite to yack with my fellow LCOs and learn about new equipment. It has been more then once that I've gone to my local dealer and asked for something that he wasn't even aware existed.
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Decent thread! Richard M says it best. " I come to Lawnsite to yack with my fellow LCOs and learn about new equipment. It has been more then once that I've gone to my local dealer and asked for something that he wasn't even aware existed." I learn new things good and bad everyday on LS, most days I just ingest and rarely digest all just segments of comments and then apply to my real world experiences.
  9. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

I've once or twice thought about this myself. My conclusion was this. I think the industry is VERY easy to get into. What I think Lawnsite.com would give a newbie would be ideas of professionalism, thoughts on equipment, and insight on customer relations. All these things would be "positive" for that new business owner. I'd much rather hear a friend that talks about getting into the lawn business (which here in Florida happens regularly) say "I got on Lawnsite.com and got some killer ideas on how to make my business take-off!" Then to here...."Man, I see these guys everywhere, this must be a good business." Here in Florida(Central and south) this is year round work just using a mower, edger, weedeater, bb blower, itty bitty echo hedge trimmers. Nope... rake, sprayer, aerator, spreader, pole saw, and sometimes common sense....not needed! And the customer gladly hands over the 20-25 bucks for a 10 minute mow-over. It's horrible. It's year round. I know a fellow that is running a 24 hour operation south of Tampa. The grass is always growing. They mow industrials with medians throughout the parking lots at night. They use the overhead parking lot lights to cut. Tall walkway lights aid with sight for edging and mowing aroung buildings. He uses 2 portable generac lights for hard to see areas. Daytime crew works the residentials. He sleeps at nights. Supervises and inspects during the days. He lives really nice....but didn't know did-dooly about lawns when he got into it. Made business cards and bought the equipment used. There's an idea there and many more on Lawnsite, but you'd have to apply it. Kinda like the old saying about... if you start putting a dollar away in the bank everyday starting right know at suchasuch interest...in 20 years......:rolleyes:

Lawnsite helps the no-knowledge guys be a bit more knowledgable about things they want to know about anyways. It's a tool...they just have to use it. The search feature is another great one.

Thanks goes out to the Lawnsite staff!

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I firmly believe that knowledge is power. Lawnsite is knowledge, and while only true experience can strenghten a person or their business as a whole, I undoubtly agree that it is helping us.