Is Micro Spray Irrigation really all it is cracked up to be??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by EncoreVee, Nov 11, 2010.

1. EncoreVee

EncoreVee LawnSite Member

I've got a property that I manage who is considering installing a new, top-of-the-line Micro Spray irrigation system.
    I have 3 other bids that have not made that suggestion.

Is Micro-Spray really the way to go?
    The property is on a slope, with mostly creeping vines, shaped shrubs, and small flower beds in front of the 24 units.

What are the positives & drawbacks to this kind of system?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Microspray falls into the drip irrigation family, as it requires regulated pressure and filtration of the water supply. One thing that is a necessity for a "textbook install" of drip or microspray is heavy mulch covering the pipe and fittings, which aren't buried, but laid on bare soil.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The stuff is way too fragile for my liking.

4. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

Pros: Soaks into the soil easy, easy to regulate, quicker than a conventional install generally, modular components make it easy to service, often has rebates on certain products, minimal over spray, can install a fertilizer injector as long as you have the correct back-flow preventer, you would need a RPZ.

Cons: Often mixed with regular spray heads or rotors on the same zone, fragile - Poly tubing doesn't hold up well in the sun, needs monitoring to make sure it is functioning.

BTW: What is your definition of state of the art?