Is modifying my Hustler Super Z deck worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Jul 23, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

My 04 Super Z deck could cut a bit better, so is cutting out the deck discharge a few inches and adding Fusion blades really worth it? I was hoping someone that made the modification could chime in.
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I do not feel modifying your deck would help, but only make it worse. Try dbls or fusion blades. Which ever makes you more comfortable.
  3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

There is a Hustler-approved mod for the deck opening; I did it to my Mini-Z and it does help improve discharge in heavy grass and reduces clumping.

The fusion blades are hardened to stay sharp longer, if you keep your regular blades sharp the fusion blades will make no difference in the cut, you'll just spend less time sharpening.

If you need the instructions for enlarging the deck opening go to the Hustler forum here on lawnsite and post a message for PJ, he'll get the drawing and instructions to you. Hustler went to the bigger opening starting with the 05 models.
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Cutting out the deck is a good improvement. I am very happy I made the modification. I also find to get the cleanest cut with best vacume use Ultra Highlift blades. They are the 3" wide blades made for scag and I think Bobcat. You can get them from J-thomas. I find they cut cleaner then the fusions with a greater discharge distance.
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Bigger the discharge opening and the fusions blades cutting cleaner and staying sharp a lot longer the more usable hp you have and the easier it is on the mower. When you can keep the blade speed up it will naturally give a better cut and this combination will do that. I put the fusion blades on the 2004 Super Z I had and did not cut the deck out because I was trading for a new 2005 which already had these modifications and just the fusion blades alone made a lot of difference.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What are fusion blades?
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Do you run the Bac-Vac unit??? If so, opening up the deck discharge opening will give you more greif than its worth. I have a 2003 60" Super Z. I cut out the recircalating baffel and welded in a flat pice of 1/8" stock to create a free flowing discharge. Makes a world of differance. I also run a Scag blade with the cut sail. The best thing about the Fuission blade is, the sail doesn't wear out.
  8. cbelawn

cbelawn LawnSite Member

I cut my deck last year, per hustler spec. and started with Fusion blades 2 weeks ago. It will improve the cut and how the grass discharges. DO IT!
  9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The fusion blade was brought out by Hustler, it has a special heat treatment to make it harder and more durable so you will not have to change or sharpen blades as often. I changed mine for the first time at 41 hrs. and the mower has 86 hrs. on it now so I'm going to put the ones I sharpened back on. The mower still cuts great at slower speeds but I push it as hard as I can because I'm 57 years old and I don't care about being on it any longer than is absolutely necessary. The fusion blades cost more but I think they are worth it because I don't have to fool with them as much.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Its a new blade by Oregon that comes standard on the new Hustlers (some anyway). It is a hardened metal that is more than just a coating. The structure of the metal it's self is changed so even after sharpening you have a long lasting edge. That's the best of my understanding. I have not heard any major complaints with the blades, mostly positive. They are available for other brands.