1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is my bermuda coming back in right ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JERELG, Apr 7, 2012.

1. JERELG

JERELG LawnSite Member

I seeded my yard in bermuda last spring and had great results. Now that it's getting warm again my bermuda is coming back in patches and some areas are better than others or nothing at all and this week I had a lot of weeds pop up. I know it is little early in the season. I just want to know what should I do to get the yard greened up all around.

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of bermuda did you seed ? Is there full sun everywhere ? Do you have irrigation ? Could be lot's of thing's. Could be as simple as needing more seed. Please post more detail's and picture's if possible.

3. JERELG

JERELG LawnSite Member

I used Sun Spot Bermuda from John Deere landscapes , my yard and house faces east and gets full sun and it's a full acre. I'll try to post pics soon. I do not have a good way to water daily.

4. Pro-turf lawn

Pro-turf lawn LawnSite Member

Sorry for the questions. What size of bag did it come in? Cost? What rate did you seed on thanks for the help.. I'm sure you may want to mow a little higher at first

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Bermuda greens up at different rates depending on type but most needs 65 degree soil temps which means greater than 80 days and 50 nights and it loves full sun.
    They need more than 6 hours but like all day full sun.

It loves nitrogen. Feed it about 4 Pounds of N broken up into 4 to 8 feedings and mow it often and low. Have you done a soil test?

6. JERELG

JERELG LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. The temperature is not up to where it needs to be. I plan to put out some fertilizer at the end of the month. As for the weeds I'll just keep them mowed down until the Bermuda comes in full.

7. JERELG

JERELG LawnSite Member

This Bermuda seed came in 5 gallon buckets, it cost around $150.00 a bucket and I put out 4 buckets per acre.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Be very careful about treating weeds. I know you started this grass last season but weed killers do weaken grasses.

I strongly suggest you contact your local ag about a soil sample to get an idea about fertilizers and amendments. Sort of that try to find a 3-1-2 ratio fertilizer. I would not hit it yet. Maybe a week or two sounds right.

9. JERELG

JERELG LawnSite Member

Thanks, I did a soil sample last year and maybe I should go ahead and do another sample.

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Typically every few years is ok but if you did add lime or other amendments then yes you should run another one to make sure you applied the right amounts.