Is my business growing to fast???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greeninga, Apr 12, 2008.

1. greeninga

greeninga LawnSite Member
    from GA

I would like some of you guys opinions

Since last year my business has doubled, from $220,000 in sales to $434,000

in total contracts. It is extremely hard to keep good help, as right now we

are fine on employees, but if grow any more it will be rough finding good help.

I have the opportunity right now to bid a $300,000 dollar job. (Grounds Maintenance).

If I were to get it I would almost double again,my mother (I'm a little younger than some on this site) is telling me to slow down and get myself together, because I am wide open now. I really do want to bid this job, I may not get it, or I could. She has told me slow down and pace yourself right now, because I could fall moving so fast, which I agree but I am on the fence on this one.

So do you guys think I should take mothers advice and not bid that very large job, or go and try to get it. I know usually you supposed to listen to your mother, but I really would love to bid that job. Even though I do not know where the help would come from. I know it makes sense to listen to what she has said, but I know jobs in that large dollar amounts do not come around often. So help me out

Thanks

2. greeninga

from GA

Did not mean to my business out there in dollars amounts:hammerhead:, but kind of had to give you guys an understanding. Thanks

3. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

i would say go for it if you have the man power and the equipment to handle an account that big.....the more money you make the faster you can retire and enjoy life.... thats my .2

4. greeninga

from GA

Well getting the equipment is no big deal, but the finding GOOD

manpower has always been my problem, but so has it for everyone else.

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

you must have systems in place to handle the extra work. "It takes a lifetime to build a good name and a minute to ruin one"........

6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

As long as your not steeping out of your territory and sticking to grounds. A bid that large sounds more like a building ond grounds, whole different animal.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The best move at this point (for most companies) would be to concentrate on streamlining your current operations. Too much growth at once can be hard on any company and death to some. A single $300,000 contract can be especially dangerous---you need to quickly come up with the manpower and equipment to handle it but if you ever lose the contract you'll lose a large percentage of your projected gross income.

I'd pass on it but I'm sure you will be up to the task if you go for it.
    Good luck and congratulations on your impressive growth so far. Some of the most stable and profitable companies gross $1,000,000 or less annually.

8. greeninga

from GA

Roughly would cost me 70K, in equipment costs. 200 man hours per week extra. A big hit the first year for that job.

9. greeninga

from GA

Profit margin would go down greatly first year for that certain job. Thanks

10. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on your growth. Would you like to come up to Buffalo for a week and sell for me? Cant help still trying to get to $100,000