1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is my company name slowing my progress??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by oldearthgardening, Sep 12, 2010.

1. oldearthgardening

oldearthgardening LawnSite Member

Hi, been in business here in Canada for 2 years. Going good- but Im thinking of changing my name from- Old Earth Gardening to something simpler!
    What do you guys think when you hear the name -Old Earth Gardening?
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

tell me more about your business before i can make suggestions etc. i think you name implies landscaping and such, basically not lawn care at all.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed with Grassman.

I wondered the same thing with my biz name, but I was shooting for more the hands on type of crowd and pushing for landscape maintenance or garden maintenance. After a while though, your reputation sells more jobs than you name.

That and I would love to have a nursery someday, and White Gardens would fit the bill.
  4. Springmeadows

Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member

I think your business name should tell people enough about your business for them to know what you do. If you are going after lawns and landscapes use a name that tells them that. The easier your business name is the easier your advertising is. I spent too many years trying to explain my first business name to the public, finally changed it to say what I do in my name: Spring Meadows Lawn & Landscape. just my .02 cents.
  5. oldearthgardening

oldearthgardening LawnSite Member

We are focusing mainly on the maintenance side of things- we maintain residential, strata, commercial ,church etc - from lawns to hedges, with a little installation/ woodwork.
    The name popped into my head and I went with it, now Im not sure if its driving some clients away- It can be taken to mean that Im possibly against religion!!
    Is the earth old or young!?!
    -something I really wasnt thinking when I submitted my application for a business name:hammerhead:
    The last thing i want to do is limit my client base!!
    any advice greatly appreciated.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I hear a name like that I think you may have a bad back, no teeth, drink Odoul's beer due to having too many DUI's and will show up in a rusty p/u with a ground powered reel mower.

Try something like Old Fashioned Grounds Service - we do things the old fashioned way: Correct, Quick, and Professional One Property At A Time.
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that is actaully verye xcellent
  8. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, until you show up with 2 ztrs and big backpack blowers.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. RadiantLawnCare

RadiantLawnCare LawnSite Member

Its not so much (old earth) but gardening. i don't know about everyone else but when i hear that i think garden maintenance.... might just want to change to (Old Earth Grounds Care.)
  10. wilbilt

wilbilt LawnSite Member

It is probably better then "Flat Earth Lawn Care" or "Atomic Landscape Processing".

"Old Earth" would probably do well around Berkeley or other areas flush with aging hippies. Just saying.