Is my dealer trying to ruin my mower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, May 8, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I was reading the back of the oil and it says that 5w-30 bar goes from -20F to 35F. the 10w-30 goes from 0F to 110F degree's. I live in CT where in the summer its from 60- 100 F. Should I be running 10w30 instead?? Let my know because I didn't change the oil in my 2003 15HP kawasaki motor yet.

2. You're reading the graph wrong.

30W is the top end of the range and they should be similar.

3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

on my 48 in exmark metro 48 in cut with the 15 kawi, i think its a 2002 or 2003, but i have always run HD30 in it .

4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I run Rotella15/40 in everything and have had 0 problems since

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Uh, WHAT? You've gone FIVE YEARS without changing the oil? Do you run it like 10 hours per year or something?

6. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

no, lol I got it last year. Is 5w-30 okay?

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

5w-30 won't hurt it. It good to the same high temperature as 10w-30.

8. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

You should run 10w-30 in walk behinds according to my dealer.

9. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Run 10w-30w kohler command oil and nothing else. That is the best oil for any 4 stroke motor.. I have had several dealers tell me that and i run it in my kawasaki motors also. 1 dealer i deal with even runs it in his vehicles.. I run it and have no issues

10. willider

willider LawnSite Member

A word about oil:

Air-cooled engines run much hotter than do water-cooled engines (the kind used in cars and trucks). This results in two things; since air-cooled engines have a greater overall operating temperature range, they're built "looser" from the factory (wider clearances) which tends to make them consume oil even when they're new. Keeping a close watch on the oil level of your air-cooled engine is very important. Secondly, the higher overall operating temperature tends to cause the oil to breakdown more quickly, causing it to lose its viscosity (ability to cling to the surfaces being lubricated). It's highly recommended that you use a good quality "straight" 30W oil in air-cooled engines. Unless you're running synthetic, don't use multi-viscosity oils such as 10W30 because they will leave it inadequately protected resulting in increased oil consumption and more rapid wear of the internal components.