is my estimate close?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncarepros2004, May 5, 2004.

1. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

i have to rip out 600sqft of grass, bring in 4 yards of topsoil and then resod. looks like close to 24man hours. I am thinking about $2100. How does that sound to you guys?

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you won't be getting the job. You are way high on that price. That's about half a days work with two people.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Please explain your material costs.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Are you paying dump fees?
    Are you adding the 4 yards of soil where your ripping out the 600 sqft grass?

5. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

Need a little more info, but it sounds quite high to me for such a small area.

6. lawncarepros2004

This place is a wreck. First I'll rototillar, then remove grass, then bring in 5yds, then grade, then lime, then lay sod. I'll be hauling with a wheel barrow and carting away all debris. let's see my costs are: 1)rototillar rental $100
    2)5 yds of top soil totaling $150 delivered 3) sod=$160 4) fertilizer and lime $25. My cost =$415 without labor. still looks like 20 man hours of labor at $35 hour=$700+$415 =$1115.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

So then,where did you come up with $2100.00?
    By the way,your costs are $435 not $415.

8. lawncarepros2004

sodd installs around here are $1 a sgft w/out any prep. (600 sgft $600)+ (16 man hrs at 35hr $560)+ (rototlllar rental $100 )+(lime and fert $50) +(topsoil $150) total =$1460

9. lawncarepros2004

I did not describe the job well enough by your response. I'd like to see these two people that could rototill 600sgft of lawn, remove old grass with wheel barrows, wheel barrow 5 yds of top soil , grade, lime and fert, lay new sod in a half day. Are you guys on performance inhancing drugs out there? Let me know if its something i can mix into my fruit drinks.

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No, we aren't. But I would roll up with the dump truck full of topsoil, two pallets of sod on the trailer with the skid-steer and power rake. Dump the topsoil, scrape the existing crap turf with the skid-steer and put it in the now empty dump truck, power rake the area, spread the topsoil, lay the sod, and be gone by noon. And do it for half what you would charge and probably make twice as much. It's not the customers fault you aren't equipped to handle the job in a cost effective manner. You spread big equipment payments out over the course of the season and not have rental costs, you can actually make money in this business. Materials for that job wouldn't even be $200 for us. Screened topsoil = $11 per yard ($55), sod = 12 cents a square foot ($72). Lime? Not used here. Fert = $10 max. Leaves a lot of room for equipment costs, labor and profit. I'll do two jobs a day like that for $1150 each.