Is my price fair,low, or high?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Just picked up a new mowing account in the country club. It''s the largest house in the club, but the landscaping has been let go for a few years (owner's going through a divorce). So while I was mowing last week the lady asks me to go ahead and fix up her landscaping, do what ever it takes and send her the bill. All bushes need trimmed way back, the bradford pear tree closest to the house beside the drve needs to be removed, red scallop borders around main island need to be removed, flowerbed created around shed, all beds edged and filled with mulch. Material cost: Mulch $900, Rental Fees (bed edger & pole pruner) $150, Dump Fee of $250. Total Materials $1,300. I think 2 of us can do it in 3 days. I am thinking around $3,000 but want to be fair to her. What do you guys think about the price?

rock creek 6.jpg

rock creek 8.jpg

rock creek 7.jpg

rock creek 4.jpg

rock creek 5.jpg

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

3. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

Low to me but anyways I would suggest letting the customer of a ballpark range. She might think it will only be $800 or she might be under the impression it would be $5000. Just let her know before you guys to the work and get screwed.

4. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

I think you should let her know a roundabout on how much it will cost her. You dont want to take her for a ride, but not for nothing that looks to be a lot of work, dont short change yourself. Problems could always arise, you say 3 days with 2 guys it could run you longer, hey you never know.... $5k seems reasonable.. given the cost to you... Remember you have to eat too... Good Luck

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Way too low! I would be in the 4K-5K range and I own all the stuff you need to rent. It's alot of work, don't screw your self on time. Sell your companyto her and let her know quality comes w/ a price tag and that tag doesn't say "SALE"

Chris

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Thats good advice. I told her we wouldn't start till Oct 20th and I have cleared 5 days in case of weather or anything else. I realize it's alot of work, we've done much bigger jobs before, but I foresee alot of oppurtunities here with this customer. She has a back patio (if you can even call it that) that I would love to sell her on a large patio project ($20K & up range) next year, as well as a paver driveway & sidewalks.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

What price did you finally tell her ... I was thinking around $ 3,500 to 4,000 !!

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I told her that the day she stopped me while mowing as I new Fall Cleanups were coming.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I don't think you know your overhead.

What is your daily overhead?
    What is your daily reguired/goal net?

If you're asking if the price is 'fair' I don't think you know where you need to be each day. If you did, you would know your overhead, where you need to be and assemble a firm proposal knowing exactly where you need to be on the project.

I see your list of toys, must be making a profit. I think you can make a lot more if you spend a day with a calculator.

Food for thought on future work.

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I understand what your saying, and I guess my real reason for this post was to more or less find out how my price would compare to others in different markets. We have a fairly low cost of living, which also equals lower wages when compared to other parts. I price myself @ $40 an hour so gross I am usually @ $300-320, and after all my expenses (taxes, ins, fuel, repairs) I am around $200-250 NET. Not a great salary compared to others but locally your lucky to net $300 a week @ at 9-5 job.