Is my price to low???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by southtx, Nov 22, 2007.

1. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I planted 2 flats of panys....bought at 12.00 a flat sold @ 25.00 a flat.
    I put down 2X50 pound bags of rose soil...2 bags at 2.30 a bag sold @ 7 bag
    I hour of labor 35.00 which was planting and cutting out 2 tree rings.
    My cost was 28.60
    I made 70.40 for the one hour

I gues what I want to see is this good mony or am I leaving more on the table??? Can anyone see where I can mark up more or make more??? Any help will be great...thans yall

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

uhhh no...making 70 bucks an hour is pretty good in my books

3. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you were able to acquire the materials AND do the planting within an hour then yes, you did pretty well. If it took a half an hour plus fuel to run around for supplies, that's time that needs to be charged off to that job.

So, if it took an additional half hour then you made around $47.00 per hour. That's too low to survive long term in this business.

4. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I thought it was illegal to tack on money to resell a product for more money like that. I think you can ad fuel charges and what not, but not resell. Or is that just up here in Mass.?

5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

so you billed the customer $99.00 if so thats pretty good as long as it didn't take to long to get supplies....

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Here in PA I mark up materials all the time. I have a tax license and charge the tax to the end buyer, I don't pay sales tax at point of purchase. As for $47 an hour...here that is good money...I know in other markets that is low, but every market is different.

7. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Why would that be illegal? That doesn't make sense. Last time I checked, that's what businesses do...mark up their product.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if you didnt include the time for picking up all the materials you didnt charge enough IMO. if you asking this question, chances are you should have charged a bit more

9. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

Thanks yall for the information....it helps!! I thought of pick up time but both the supply yards are on the way home form 2 clean up I was doing. Soooo would I still charge for that???? I mean I had to go by them anyways....and the price I gave yall is not including the tax...8.25 around here. Im asking cause I what to see if my price is fair for what I did...I dont want to scare my clients off due to over charge but I still want to make money doing this.....While I was there I also got 2 extra flats and 4 extra bags soo I could sell those in the next job Im working on. :) might need more flats but Ill see.

10. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

planing ahead thats smart so your price was good...