Is my price too low??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greeninga, Nov 26, 2007.

1. greeninga

greeninga LawnSite Member
    from GA

I have 70 acres of flat wide open mowing to do mowing to do, with minimal weed eating (around a few fences but not much). Four zero turns to use on it (3) three 72 inch mowers and (1) one sixty inch mower. I don't want to give my numbers on my profit and what it takes me an hour to run my business takes too long. I'll cut to the chase:

70 acres flat wide open mowing with minimal weedeating : $2100 a cut once a week

Does that price seem okay?? Thanks for any input

2. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

How long will it take you to complete it, is it out of the way or on one of your routes, how often are you cutting?

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow. I guess that all depends on whether or not you tow a port-a-potty behind the mower.

I'd hate to run out of gas on THAT property...

4. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like $2100 for 70 acres would be about $100 an hour per man so its not low

5. greeninga

from GA

I'm guessing a day and a half. I have a jacobsen hr-5111 (11ft cut) but I have to use zero turn mowers because they want a low quality cut (ball fields). It's about a 25 min drive there, once a week mowing. I'm hoping to have down to a day but I don't know. I want to use (4) zero turns but could bring in (6) (2 back up mowers) they are sixty inch cuts. But that means more paying out help, gas, etc. It's easy cutting just wide open mow and go. Nothing extra.

6. Dodge Truck

from Mass

You may be able to up that price if its gonna take a day and a half, how many hours you have figured?

7. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Each mower should mow about 4-5 or more acres per hour dont see how it would take a day and a half

8. Dodge Truck

from Mass

Well he said fields so maybe lots of fences???
    But i was surprised when he said that too, I'm guessing he left something out

9. greeninga

from GA

I'm thinking between 12-16 hours. Not sure but it may take more or less, sometimes I think a job might take 2 hrs when it takes 4 hrs, but sometimes I think a job takes 2 hrs and it only takes 45 min. But usually i'm in range. It's all wide open mowing nothing getting in your way but a few fences. So I'm hoping 12 hours but who knows.

I know the $2,100 a cut / $8,400 a month seems nice but I know it can fool you.

10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

What about a tractor with turf tires pulling several gang style mowers. You could lose most of the ztr's except maybe for tight areas and maybe could cut a few laborers.