Is my pricing out of reason?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Mar 18, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

You may have saw my previous thread about getting yelled at by an old lady over a price quote. I did another estimate yesterday for a yard with approximately 25,000 sq feet. Is has several trees and mulch beds. I quote $37.00 per cut because I can go fast on a good portion of it. I think I was low (trying to get foot in this neighborhood), but they said they had another quote for $20.00 to mow their lawn. I asked if the other guy had insurance, commercial equipment, pesticide license etc..., and the homeowner said they'd check on it (right!). This is getting ridicilous with these idiots killing the market.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

$37 for a half acre is not out of line. But $20 is stupid. Home owners dont care if you have license , insurance, etc.

3. chinook Winds

chinook Winds LawnSite Member

Hey CRM
    I always remeber what my mama said:
    "Never argue with an idiot, because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

There will always be someone out there with a lower price then you, and the customers who want that lower price will never be happy with what you are doing even if you cave into what they want to pay, because its still too much. they want it for nothing.

Other then the regular "stuff" insurance, licence etc. etc. because if anyone is hurt while on the job who has final resposibilty or cant pay because coverage is not there? Thats their worry.
    Let them know what YOU will do for them. Always communicate & take resposibilty for what is done on the property & be proud of what you have done because if your not it hasnt been done right.:blob2:

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is too funny. I have to remember that

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Thats sounds like a good price I would not worry about it you can't get them all.But I know what you mean about trying to get into a certain area.You give them a good price like you did expecting to get it and they come back with $20.

6. 37 aint enough for me to mow it ..20 is friggin insane...id tell em adios amigo because that kind you dont want anyway..all they care about is the cheapest price .You can talk insurence and what you will do until your blue in the face...price is the bottom line with this type of customer.And in the long run they will be a big pain in the ass.

The idoit who quoted 20 bucks is pathetic .

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Personally I wouldn't touch it for $37 either. I wouldn't even start the truck for $20. Let them go with the $20 guy and they will get what they pay for. They'll probably call you later on in the season. Then you tell them it's gonna be $40.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

As with all areas being different,we get $ 50 -65.00 for lawns in the 18-25K range here. You'll always have someone doing it for beer money, it's part of this life we chose to lead. Pull up your bootstraps, suck it up, move on, and wait for them to call you in a few weeks after the 20.00 guy screws their yard up.I know it's tempting to do more for a little less to get "seen" in a new neighborhood, don't sweat it, it will come to you.You don't want to work for penny pinchers like that anyways. If you can't get what you feel is your fair price from people, then it's a good sigm to walk away.Hang in there, you can't get 'em all, but give it hell trying..

9. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

I have a question about the insurance stuff. Now if that guy were to get hurt on their property, or if an acorn were to fly out of the mower blinding one of the customers children and this guy has no insurance what happens then. I would stress the second one to the customer but anyone know about the 1st one. Would that dirtbag be able to sue the Homeowner Insurance co.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Yes he could sue the homeowner , unless the homeowner has a written contract he COULD be condidered an employee of the homeowner. Much like a maid , babysitter or any other domestic employee. It would be up to a court to decide. If someone else gets hurt that person would be suing both the homeowner and the contractor .