1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is my pump dead?

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by mosmgras, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Ok,

I have a small pressure washer (Crapsman) 5.5 hp/2.5 gpm. I got a really great deal on it and use it to wash my equipment. Here's the thing, a few days ago, it stopped reducing pressure when I release the trigger. In order to keep the engine running, I have to hold the trigger. Every time I release the trigger, the engine bogs down and stops. I take it that this is a pump problem. Is this something I can fix or is it time for a new one? Thanks guys.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

we need to get our 2 pumps together... I have the same pressure washer, and mine reduces pressure fine, but mine won't go back to pressure when I pull the trigger! Drives me nuts, I have to keep the thing blasting all the time, cause if I let off the trigger I have to go over and flip the water off for a couple seconds and then back on to get it to pressure up again.

3. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like an unloader problem. A machine like that would be better to just replace vs fixing.

4. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yea... I was afraid of that.

Oh well, it's been good to me for a while. I just looked at Northern's Northstar Professional Series, 3 gpm - 3200 psi, 9 hp Honda unit. Looks like it comes with a Cat pump. $900 and tax. Holy smoke... I have $150 in the one that just died. Guess I'm over due for an upgrade.

5. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member