Is my theory correct?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

ive been thinking about this a lot lately while ive been mowing, trying to prove myself right or wrong, but i figured ide post my thoughts about this here.

My thought is that a mower will cut better and cleaner with less straglers on a really lush property over a thin junky one. Here is my reasoning. A mower deck creates vacuum to suck up the grass into the mower blades to be cut and chopped up. Compare this to a regular carpet vacuum. If your vacuum head is close to the carpet, then you don't get all the dirt, would this same principal apply to a lawn? If you have a lush thick lawn, will the vacuum seal itself to the lawn, making it easier to get all the grass where as on a thin lawn you loose vacuum from between grass blades.

Am i on the right track here at all and does my theory make sense? I didn't copy this from anywhere and if someone has already made this connection then, sorry!!

thanks
    mike

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

bingo. my gravely would prove this theory to you. It will cut like a golfcourse green mower on a thick lawn, however toss it a raggedy weed infested sparsely grassed lawn and it will leave stuff all over the place.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i thought so, as i usually leave quite a few stragglers on my POS trailer park lawns, but on wiked nice lush ones it would be almost perfect, comparing it to a vacuum cleaner made me think of it.

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

You got it, much nicer cut on lush lawns!

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you must be bored with all that rain.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Or...on that POS lawn...Does that one or two blades of grass have more room to lay down and stay as the front casters run it over allowing the blades to miss the grass. On the nice thick lawn the grass is crowded and must stay upright allowing the blades to cut the grass more uniform.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well boys, that's part of it.
    But there is more to it.

Plainly put, a nice turf fescue or bluegrass lawn is easy cutting to be honest.
    Like a hot knife through butter, as far as cutting every blade is concerned.

The not so nice lawns have things in them that are tuff!
    Fast growing coarse upright stalks...
    Wind flimsy stuff...
    Stuff that is hard to suck up to cut...

Some mowers are just better equipped to handle widely varying conditions.

8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

This has been the toughest year so far for me. Very dry conditions all season long and yeah Mike, you are definitely thinking correctly. I found that when I cut thin, dry, stringy turf that I almost have to double mow certain areas or mow very slowly. I think with the high blade tip speed of commercial mowers it causes the thin turf to lay down vs. being sucked up into the deck. I tested a set of Oregon high lifts to see if that made a difference and the only major difference was I ate more dust & dirt and looked like a pig that just got done rolling thru a dirt pen. Went back to the medium lifts after two days of the dirt buffet.

Anyone know a rain dance???? If so let's get high steppin' cause we need it in the worst way. Only lawn I mowed this past week was my own.

Buck

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

At least you have time to get over and get some of those walleyes out of Red.

It'll also depend on your mower, whether how much vacuum the deck actually has. But I agree, a thick weed free lawn is much easier to cut, unless you're like me and run your blades about 2 weeks longer than you actually should. :laugh:

It's another reason why I tell my customers that I can't cut their "full of weeds" lawns for the same price as the one next door that doesn't have any weeds. It takes longer, because the mowers aren't designed to cut weeds, they're designed to cut grass.

10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I'm waiting for the hard water season...:) I usually fish a few lakes close by in the summer because I'm so busy. We have to hook up on Red this winter. I see Rogers Campground closed up the lodge & access for the summer, weird deal. They claim they'll open back up for the winter but dang...I figured they'd be raking it in now that the walleye is fair game.

Buck