1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is my wheel motor going bad.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by G. Ramey, May 24, 2009.

1. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

The l. side wheel motor jumps and surges when I first start mowing. It also is making a low noise most of the time. Once it is warm it seems to work fine, but I expect it will only get worse. Does this sound like rebuilding the o-rings will fix the problem.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This could be a couple of things...
    First you need to make sure your parking brake and hardware are not causing the wheel motor and hub to lock up, a bolt backing out could cause this in the brake hub, the brake drum needs to be removed to check this.
    You also need to check for air getting into the system on that side, check connections and fittings and also look for really foamy oil in the resevoir.
    If those check out ok, you need to check the pressure of the pumps to eliminate them as a proble, this can be done by a dealer, you or the dealer also need to check the bottom of the reservoir for metal shavings, if the wheel motor is going bad or is bad there could be contamination.
    You can check it by simply putting a retractable magnet into the reservoir touch the bottom and remove and check it.