1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is my yard ready???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Apr 9, 2002.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you love it when you pull up for the first cut of the season and the customer comes out and says " Do you really think it's ready to be mowed? " Why do you think I'm here? To pay you a social call? My actual responses are " The first mowing will stimulate the grass to start growing, kinda like a wake up call" or " I'm just trying to get you on a schedule." We probably all have accounts that don't grow squat until after that first cut, but you need to get the ball rolling sooner or later. To all, hoping for a great season!!!!!

2. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

What I hear when they speak those words is, " If you mow it now it won't be as hard for you so could you wait, that way I can get more of your time for the same amount of money.":eek:
  3. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Tell them it's part of the spring clean-up. Mowing helps to get rid of the leaves, and sticks that are slowing the grass from growing!
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

"...services listed in 1. and 2. will begin the week begining April 29, 2002"

straight from my contracts, just tell them to check.
  5. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Bubble, put em on a set contract that specifies the date for mowing to begin, then there's no questions about it.

6. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

I like saying that if I didnt really think it was it was ready to be mowed, I really wouldnt have gotten out the truck.:D
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

"to pay a social call?" I love it!
  8. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

Had a customer several years now, good account. Went by last week to check to see if it needed mowing. Had been mowed already. I had checked it several days earlier and it did not need mowing. Called customer to see what was going on. She said that we did not mow it soon enough so she had the guy that does her tree work mow it and doesn't need us this year.

Unbelievable. We held off mowing it because it didn't need it. Then we get fired because we didn't cut it when it wasn't necessary. We get paid per mow, no contract. Tried to be honest and got dumped. Sometimes it is hard to win in this business.
  9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

That would really tick me off, plus a regular customer for years. I would think they could have called to see if you were still planning to come. Hopefully you can replace them soon.

Spring is an occasionally awkward time for starting, some customers like service the day after the snow melts, some like it after the grass is a foot high. I may hire a psychic to help me for the future.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Man, that one would really be a tester! I hope that you told the woman that you had already came by and checked it and it didn't need cutting? Unfortunately, that seems to be the attitude of many of today's folks : nothing seems like it contains any credence with no sense of urgency. But then again, this tree guy might have had the grass cutting as part of his deal with her trees?

However, after this "tree cat' whacks at her grass some, she'll come back to you and I wouldn't blame you for the $ at the time the service is rendered.

Keep your honesty in tact and you will be rewarded. Always treat the customer in the exact manner that you would want them treat you. They can sense this effort and everyone knows that folks do business with people that they like.

Keep you head up!