Is next week too early to aerate and seed??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by palawnman, Mar 18, 2006.

1. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I know that the best time of year to aerate and seed is the fall, but I have some customers that want it done in the spring. Is there a certain temp ideally you want it to be before you aerate and seed? I was planning on doing it by the end of the week, I think the temps are going to be in the 40's (not sure). Is there any temp range that I should be waiting for?

Ron

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Still too early for us in the NE. The ground needs to be at a constant 50+ degrees.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

too early, you got plenty of time.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea I got a few to do, prob. won't do them till the first wk in April

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This has been my experience over the years...
    The only difference between the times is IF you aerate / seed in the early fall (keyword: early), you get 100% the effect for your money. Doing it any other time such as late fall or early to mid-spring will only yield about 90% of the results - That's still pretty good. The key thing is to never aerate after april, seed can and does survive the virginia winter, but it will not survive the summer. Seed needs at least 60 full days of sub 90-degree temperatures - If you seed the last of April then wait May + June that is good enough, but come July the seed has either grown to adult grass, or it dies under the extreme temperatures. Cold, for the most part just puts it to sleep, it will come around once it warms up.

In my case, I don't care because the holes trap the seed anyhow, I've aerated as late as December and as early as March. I've even aerated and seeded a lawn when I should've cut it first, then cut it the next day thinking I might foul it up, and every single one of them turned out good.

I did mine last week thou it was in the 60's and 70's... Odd, but now it's freezing at night and 50's in the daytime, but I am 99% sure it will turn out right nice. Keep in mind, I drop fertilizer and lime as well, and a fair amount of it.

That having been said...
    If you want to play it safe you should wait, they are right about the 70 degree stuff.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

As the others have said, its a bit too early.
    Also keep in mind that aeration does "stress" the grass plant somewhat so it will "recover" better once it comes out of dormancy and then aerated

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

we do 90% of our seeding in the spring in michigan, we generally start april 1st and go throught may 15th, the earlier the better so long as the weather is warm enough anf the grounf has thawed.