1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is not doing fertilizers going to hurt my business do Commercial Work?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJK, Jan 12, 2008.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I have no interest in getting into this line of work, I was wondering if you guys feel this will hurt the chances of me getting into commercial work? After talking with one property manager, they want one contractor for everthing (mowing, fertilizers, plowing). I thought about maybe getting the License for it and then subing it out, what do you guys feel.
  2. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

I don't think it will be an issue really,, the main reason people say that is because they don't want to be dealing with 3 and 4 different people personally.. keeping it simple for them.. If you want to sub out work, Make sure you ONLY use a company that just does lawn maintenance and no cutting!! I would always feel he would be looking into taking my contracts.. ON TOP OF THAT hes damn truck ill be advertising on my property.. If you can find an honest dude that knows what hes doing, its a win win situation..Like i said as long as it gets done right, and your willing to deal with some other guys problems, if something does happen.. people wont care..although it always looks better if you are truly full service..If you plan on doing commercial stuff,, bigg stuff I would really look into doing it myself..i know you don't want to but i think the first time you wring out a check to ""the other guy"" you'll want to shoot yourself for the money ya just lost
  3. All Season Lawn Care

All Season Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I 110% agree i will not sub out b/c they will end up goin with him the next year b/c he does it all look into doin it yourself....why leave money on the table good luck....and you will get alot more jobs havein the license
  4. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

have the sub sign a no compete contract