Is Off-Road Diesel Detrimental to Mower Diesel engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sugarridge, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Sugarridge

Sugarridge LawnSite Member

A dealer told me not to use Off-Road Diesel in my Kubota powered Exmark 66" XS because it would foul the engine and plugs due to the limited fuel filtration. Any thoughts out there!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is quoted from http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/4032/Diesel-Fuel. It is an engineering forum....

The difference between OFF-ROAD diesel and "ON-ROAD" diesel is that OFF-ROAD diesel has more sulfur in it. Sulfur acts as a lubricant for fuel pumps and injectors in diesel engines. The operational tolerance in an injector is about four millionths of an inch so the sulfur lubricates the moving parts inside of the injector. In 1993 the EPA changed the sulfur content of on road diesel to 500 PPM (parts per million) this was then called LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel). Now in 2007 they are requiring it to be changed again to 15 PPM this is called ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel). Another difference is that ON-ROAD diesel is taxed and so to tell the difference between ON-ROAD and OFF-ROAD the OFF-ROAD diesel is dyed red.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not going to hurt your engine, if you can get it, run it!

4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

It wont harm anything. Your pocket book will even feel better. Off road diesel does not have the highway tax.

On another note, at one time I had a for you could fill out to get the road tax back on gasoline that went into off road equipment. now I just have the tax office do it for me.

Makes for a nice little rebate check

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

There is NOW, no difference in on or off road siesel. It is all the same quality. Only difference is they put red dye in the offroad to show that it is beig sold with no tax.

6. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

I have 19 Grasshopper mower and we have run the Off road diesel for the very start. Hour on the mowers start at 10 to 6000 right now.

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a friend that runs it in his personal truck. He has one of the new Ford diesels. He has done some mods to it and it hauls azz. The only difference in on and off-road is the color.

8. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

:nono: :nono: :nono:

9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

here's a little trick, get a clear glass jar, put some tyed diesel in it and set it out in the sun, it will bleach the dye out of it. not sure what it would take to do it on a large scale bit i thought it was neat

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

When I worked tug and barge, we moved petroleum from refineries to storage facilities.

We would load diesel fuel down the same line/same shore tank, as 2-oil/off-road diesel. You would have to gauge your tanks to know when the 2-oil/off road diesel which is dyed, got to the barge when you made the product change over, as not to get non taxed dyed diesel into the taxed no dye diesel, you can put the dye in, but you can't take it out.

It is a powerful dye.

Load diesel first.
    2-oil or off road diesel next.
    Product coming from the same shore tank down the same pipeline.
    They would inject the dye before loading into 2-oil/off road diesel tanks.

Some times the dye was added directly to the cargo tanks after it was loaded.

The dye is for tax purposes only.

It is perfectly legal to run off road diesel in your mower.