Is one big belt a problem? Toro ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DJL50, Jun 10, 2006.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at an Estate 400 Toro ZTR for home use. I noticed today that it has one big belt running from the engine to the deck and around all 3 blades of the deck. Not two belts, one from the engine to the deck,then another on the deck around the blades. Has anyone used a set up like that with one big belt? Is it an issue or does it matter?
  2. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I own the Hustler Mini-FasTrack 42" and the belt that drives the spindles for the blades is a single like you described.

There is also 1 seperate belt to drive both pumps, that comes off the same shaft connected to the engine.

I've got just over 20 hrs on my Z and have not noticed any problem with this setup yet.
  3. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

this is a trend that most mowers are using only one deck belt now and the toro 400 series is doing well with it. They did have an issue with 04-early 05 models with the tension spring giving to much and allowing a "knocking" noise only on engagement. There was also some added belt guides on certain models that helped belt life. There was a bulletin and a kit out for them and they should have all been updated prior to sale. Once this was done they are working perfectly for many hundreds of hours.
    The only long time drawback is an expensive replacement belt cause its so long (like $60-80.00)
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

A single belt driven deck should pose no problem at all.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag 48" has a single belt but it is a problem, they break at about 300hrs. I have heard they will replace it with a two belt system upon request.
  6. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I took a look around your web page. Wish you had a store here in Cincinnati. Most around here are small and not very well maintained.
    I noticed you have a Toro Estate model 74410 (52" 19 Kaw) on your web page. Has that been a good unit for you? Any problems? That model is on the top of my list. My dealer has a 52" 19 Kaw Bob Cat unit for $6,199 that is a good deal plus 0 interest for two years but that thing is huge. Trying to talk myself into the Toro. This is home use only for two+ Acres.