Is Potash organic 0-0-62?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Cheesedawg1, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am doing a organic lawn now on my property and I did my soil analysis. It said to add potash at a rate of 2 lbs per thousand sq ft. My question is that by applying this at such high amounts is it considered organic or is the content so high that it is doing the harm of regular chemical fertilizers?

2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

o-o-62 is jsut one type of potash. Potassium Chloride or more commonly known in reference to fertilizers as Muriate od Potash or MOP.

Is it organic? What definition do you want to use? Chemist? OMRI? Mine? Your customers? They are all different -- and all essentially meaningless.

I think one problem with the definition of organic is we try to say anything organic is good. That doesn't work so we try to further narrow it down and say anything naturally organic is good. But that still doesnt work ....just because something is natural organic does not make it good for the soil, the grass or even the environment. example (crude oil, salt water, excessive animal wastes, etc)

In my opinion, which is based on everything I've been able to research, people I have talked to and things that I have seen, naturl organics are an important part of the lawn care picture. However, they cannot be relied on solely of your goal is mainatinin a superior qulaity lawn free of pests and disease.

It seems liek what you realy want to know is if you should apply enough 0-0-62 to give your lawn 2# of K per 1000. 3.2#

This would be a bad idea. Not because MOP is not organic -- but because it is very salty and has a high bur potential. I would split this into 3 applications. SPread about 6 - 8 weeks apart.

I would suggest furtehr that you look into other ways of gettign that K into your soil. Sulfate of Potash is a less salty choice and better for the soil. Itr also does not contain as much chlorine as MOP and will have less of sterilizing effect on the soil.

3. Hamons on target, don't use mop, but sop, or you could use greensand, but k is very slowly available

4. Cheesedawg1

from NJ

When I mean organic i mean that when you apply the chemical fertlizes like scotts and those other things they cause the benefical insects to disapear and things of the sort because they are harmful to your lawn in the long run. But what I applied as potash 0-0-62 will that last high number cause any of that to happen? Or am i just confusing myself and I shouldnt worry about it? ;)

5. Hamons

0-0-62 will not kill insects -- either will Scotts.
    The last high number will not harm them either .

However, MOP is till a poor choice -- look at other ways of supplying yor grass with need K

6. use sop, 0-0-50

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

WHY

Because 2 pound per Thousand of elemental potash using DOP which is Potassium Chloride leaves a high concentrate of Chloride in the soil. Chloride is in fact essential to some plants however not most. The osmotic forces of Chlorides can cause plants to lose water from the root in a wet soil. Hyper tonic forces of Chloride will do it.

SOP will not raise the pH as much as DOP because the sulfur off sets the effect of the Potassium. SOP is Potassium Sulfate.

8. Cheesedawg1

from NJ

damn, i guess im am a little to late. I applied it yesterday. Thanks for the input.

9. Cheesedawg1

from NJ

I was understood that by applying those 4 step programs and all the chemical fertlizers that most people use aren't good for the benefical insects like the fungi, bacteria and other things of that sort that help break down the grass. Is this true or not?

10. Hamons

It is true -- althopugh often overstated -- that many synthetics have a negative impact on bacteria and othe soil like..... but none of these are INSECTS!