is quack grass controllable?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Jun 29, 2007.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Is quackgrass controllable? I have a lot of customers with quack and I have no idea on how to get rid of it. is round-up or pulling the only option?

thanks for the help

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Certainty is labeled for Quack.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup,what do you mean spot spray.

4. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

seems like i have herd about people burning it out with nitrogen when it gets hot but i could be wrong

5. thecompletehome

thecompletehome LawnSite Member

Certainty is labeled for quackgrass in Kentucky bluegrass. Certainty will also take care of fescue in bluegrass. You need to very careful because if the rate is slightly wrong it can turn from a selective herbicide to a non-selective herbicide quickly!

6. hobbsd

from west wi

most of our lawns are ryegrass and fescue, so I don't think that certainty would be a good option.

~Dan

7. Grandview

from WI

Dan, I would think most of the lawns in your area are bluegrass, perennial rye, and fine fescue.

8. hobbsd

from west wi

there is very little bluegrass here. I live in a lower income city where most people don't have irrigation systems. The soil is beach sand, so if it doesn't rain for a week then the whole city turns brown. Not too good for bluegrass.

Most lawns are fescue and perennial ryegrass,,,, does Certainty work in those kinds of grasses?????

9. Grandview

from WI

Certainty is labeled for perennial rye. Not sure about fine fescue.