Is rain ok?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by haulinggrass, Feb 7, 2004.

1. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I just bought a used TT23KC and it was raining very hard on the way home.
    The air filter cover is cracked and let some water on the air filter top plate. The mower was out for 2 hours of down pour.
    Is the mower made to handle this or do I need to change all the fluids?
    The man I got it from just had a full service done to it.
    Plugs, fuel filter, oil with filter, grease, key switch, air filter and pto knob.
    Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Haulingrass,

The mower should be in good shape. Don't misunderstand water is not a friend to your mower. In fact water is generally pretty bad for a mower when used in concentration from a hose or power washer. It's unlikely that a downpour would cause any damage. I would however get the plastic air filter cover replaced. The filter plate will keep the water out of the engine but the wing nut and stud can rust if water continues to seep past the plastic cover. If this happens it can be difficult to remove the wing nut or worse yet, get it tight.

Thanks

Terry

3. haulinggrass

Does Exmark sell the new type air filter system, or do you think I will be ok? I don't think I will use the mower anymore than 30-40 hours per year. Thanks

4. haulinggrass

I bought the oil to replace in the hydro system. I have the new filter on the way. This was the only maintenance not done by previous owner.
    Is there any trick to the change out or is it straight forward?
    I don't know if this is a basic type issue or done only by a pro. This maybe a stupid question, but you don't know if you don't ask.

5. eXmark

haulingrass,

Great question. I wish it was asked more often before I get the phone call that something didn't go quite right.

Exmark hydro maintenance 101: First its easy so don't worry about it. You'll want to start by making sure you've got all the right stuff. Make sure it's and Exmark filter. I know everybody likes the aftermarket stuff because it's cheaper but a pump is about $300 and a wheel motor is even more so DON'T be thrifty with the filter. Even more important than the filter is the fluid. Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic engine oil only.

Next take the new filter out of the box and place it open end up on the work bench. Fill the filter with oil and let is soak in for a while. While youÂ’re waiting on the filter to soak in good, place a drain pan under the unit and remove the old filter. When you remove the filter ALL of the fluid in the reservoir will drain into the pan. This is all the fluid you need to change.

After its finished draining go back to the new filter and top it off with fluid again. Take the new filter (still full of oil) and spin it onto the filter head/mount. Make sure it's good and snug but you don't need to go superman on it. Next fill the reservoir with fluid. Let is set for 15 minutes or so to allow as much air as possible to work its way to the top. After 15 minutes top off the reservoir, replace the cap and take it for a spin.

You may notice a slight amount of "whine" or noise from the hydro system. Unless it's extremely loud or it's not driving properly this is normal and should pass in 2- minutes to an hour of usage. It's nothing more than a small amount of air in the fluid.

If you don't pre-fill the filter the hydro's will get a big gulp of air and they won't want to function properly and they'll be very loud. If you use anything other than Mobil 1 you will in time replace the pumps or the wheel motors or both prematurely.

The engine componants such as the air filter are sold through the engine manufacturers dealer network. In most cases your Exmark dealer is going to be an authorized dealer for all engines we use.

Call me at 800-667-5296 if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Terry

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I go along with you on hydro filter. Most of the time the OEM hydro filter, for not just Exmark but almost all makes, are no more expensive than the aftermarket filter. Problem is the dealers make more on the aftermarket part, so they will try to push those. I'd say 85% of the people who go in to the dealer just request a filter and have no idea what they are getting and don't care. Dealer knows best, right? There are good aftermarket filters out there, but it's hard to track down if the aftermarket you are buying is the right one for you hydraulic system.

When I go to the dealer to get one, I take the part # with me and if they don't have it I make them order it.

7. haulinggrass

I used the mower today and all I can do is smile. The filter change when fine. Thanks for the help everyone.
    The mower has the 60" deck. Is it possible to put a 72" deck on it. Thanks again.

8. eXmark

haulingrass,

It is possible to put the 72" deck on the 60" unit. It cost however is pretty significant. To completely convert your unit to a 72" would require a coplete deck shell, front frame as well as spacers for the wheel motors and longer hoses as well.

By the time you figure the labor involved you may want to look at trading your unit in on a new 72" unit.

Thanks,

Terry

9. haulinggrass

It does sound like it. Thanks for getting back with me.