is Red dyed mulch not compatible

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by reb1965, May 28, 2005.

1. reb1965

reb1965 LawnSite Member

I was thinking of placing Red Dyed mulch around my shrubs and flowers. Is it not compatible with any? Thanks.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Most people areound here use it all the time around everything and no problems that I know of.

3. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

It is compatible in the fact that it will not hurt your plants only the eyes of people who look at it. Red mulch dose not look natueral and the only place it belongs is at McDonalds... This however is my personal openion so take it as you will...

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree 150%

boy i hate the stuff

tacky, tacky, tacky, tacky

5. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

"What a way to ruin a nice landscape" :dizzy:

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree but if thats what my customer wants thats what they get. The red mulch sells like crazy here.

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have noticed that the red/black dyed mulches stink to high heaven... Mostly I believe they are made from ground pallets and other waste wood.

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Red mulch will stain your hands and clothes as you apply it. I refuse jobs to apply red mulch because it is such a ghastly color and clashes with so many flower colors. I don't want my business' name associated in any way with red mulch. Run from anyone who uses the words 'beautiful' and 'red mulch' in the same sentence.

Mulch is supposed to mimic soil, not pickled sausage.

9. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

MARRY ME KATE!

:p

I too would refuse any job where the client wanted dyed products. I take pride in the fact that I install products that are bio-available and beneficial to the soil.

10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can send them my way.. i got a lot of mulch jobs that want the red and they love it.Only complaint is it doesnt hold the color very long.I may not like the stuff but money is money.