Is Redmax Strato engine quieter than regular 2 cycles like Echo or others?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Jan 19, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I read in the Redmax catalog that the Strato engine with muffler fill with some material so the sound level is about 5dB lower than other comparable engine. Anyone have experience with these new Strato engines?

I am considering the Redmax CHTZ2401 or HTZ2401 hedge trimmer, but I want the quietest 2 cycle hedge trimmer. I am living in a libral area where we have noise restriction and all. I currently have Echo HC151. It is not good. It is very loud also. That's the smallest size engine but is the loudest of all my stuff.

I heard Stihl 85 hedge trimmer is quiet, is this true? Anyone have the parts diagram that you can post here?

Thanks

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

How long are you out trimming your hedges? It is ludicrous to not be able to trim at 75dBa. You spent $270 on a good trimmer, unless it is not cutting like you want tell your neighbors to take a hike!

On average how long are you out trimming?

3. yungman

from Calif.

You ever live in the Bay Area??? You rather not!!!! There is a complain about everything. City plan trees on your lawn whether you like it or not. When leaf falls, I blow them onto the street, my neighbor told me it is against the law!!!! Just be thankful you live in Fl. I live in a neighborhood with retired people, thay have nothing better to do but to complain!!!:laugh:

4. yungman

from Calif.

Anyone have opinion, please
    Thanks

5. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I find my husky extended length trimmer alot louder then my redmax equipment. Another thing you need to keep in mind is durability NOT NOISE levels, I don't care if its 100db's if its going to last me a long time then its what I want.

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking of swapping to Redmax I heard they were quieter and produced less emissions. We don't have a dealer around here, but I have had alot of LCO's asking me to carry it. I will know more next week if I decide to get set up.

7. yungman

from Calif.

You should. I think Redmax is very good product. They just don't know how to market it. They should recruit sales people from Tanaka or Stihl to do some in your face sales. I just never understand why they are like this.

Thanks

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Redmax strato is a 2 cycle. Little Wonder makes good electric trimmers. Stihl 4mix are very quiet compared to Redmax. I dont know if they have a 4mix hedge trimmer tho.

9. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

You can always use a split boom, Kombi trimmer with the hedge trimmer attachment. low noise, great power and super low emissions!

10. yungman

from Calif.

No, Stihl don't make 4mix hedge trimmer. No thanks on 4mix. I have a Shindaiwa C4 blower, similar to 4mix, I don't think I want another hybrid engine. Honda HHH25 is not selling here, don't know why. I won't be asking if they are selling here.
    So my other choice is to find one that have the muffler stuffed so noise is lower.