Is Scotts lawn service breaking the law?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguyland, Mar 18, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey folks,

I'm on LI in NY and have seen the Scotts lawncare vans around the last year or so. They all (or at least the one(s) I've seen) had NJ plates. That's shady to me. Do they register in NJ to save money or is the parent co. based there? Maybe it's fine and legit or maybe not. Anyone know the deal? Simply curious.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it depends what state they are licensed in. If they are licensed in Jersey and applying by you. Then they are breaking the law.As far as someone coming to Jersey to save money on anything is ludicrious. Jersey robs people at every available chance.
    -Jay

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have reciprical (sp.) laws? Mich., Ohio, and a few others will honor each others applicators licenses. I'm not sure about the actual business licenses, but I guess it would be the same there, too. Maybe NY, NJ, and some others will honor the licenses, too, since those states are all on top of each other. Just thinking out loud.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Knowing my Police State. I can't see how they would let any outsider come in and make money with out taking yours.
    -Jay

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

NY & NJ have reciprocal pesticide licensing.

However, I worked for a large maintenance company that was forced to change all of their registraions over to NY when they started to have offices and yards in NY.

Their drivers would be breaking DOT laws if nothing else by technically driving over state lines b/c I will guarantee that they dont have medical cards etc.
    I am sure there are other considerations involved as well.

Are they licensed locally by the county? I know here you have to be.

6. lawnguyland

I think I saw the red triangles (NY DEC) last year on the truck(s?), it's just the Jersey registration that gets me. They don't drive everyday from Jersey to Nassau county do they? I mean, I guess it's like being a commuter, but why drive 2-3hr/ day? I assume they operate/park locally so I don't see why the plates are from Jersey. Maybe it's all fine and there's nothing to it, but I smell fish.

If by licensed by county you mean Nassau and home imp. lic -that I don't know and would say I think not. Again fishy. But, it could be that the parent co is based in NJ and it's all cool.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, I meant truck registrations when I said the co. I worked for had to switch. There is no way they are driving from NJ every day.

Your Scott's franchise out there is owned by the same people that own the one by me and they are 100% legit as far as laws go. Including the home improvement lic. so I dont think the one by you would be different

8. lawnguyland

Yeah, I figured as much, I just thought it was weird, thanks for the info bro.

9. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Scotts is breaking the law by lying to the customers about their service Im sure theres a good reason for the plates. They have branches popping up all over the place. theres probably a new one popping up in your area and they needed the vehicles so they switched them from one branch to the other.